• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting from strokes to fills and having it stay that way...

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I am trying to upload some svg fonts to IcoMoon - they are telling me I have to convert the strokes to fills. When I try this in illustrator it doesnt seem to stay the changes and converts back to strokes even though I deselected the option...to make matter worse now the expand menu in options doesnt open when I click on it. Pretty frustrating stuff maybe I am doing something wrong as new to the software. Anyone else encountered similar problems?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Actually i figured it out, I was forgetting the last step to go to Path and then Join together and then save. This way its complete as an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version?

Which system?

What exactly is happening step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of illustrator I just downloaded it yesterday, so very new to it.

I am on windows system.

Version: 10.0

System Architecture: x64

Built-In Memory: 16271 MB

Step by step, I am drawing a cross lets say, two rectangles. I group them together then go to Object, Expand APpearance and then Object Expand. In this pop up box that comes up, I de-select strokes, and leave fills ticked. Then I save upload same error saying its still strokes and when I go back in illustrator and repeat steps above it is still showing strokes as selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably you are just misinterpreting some options in Illustrator. Or Illustrator is confusing you.

If you want to outline stroked paths, you can just go to Object > Path > Outline Stroke.

You can, however, use the Object > Expand dialog to outline strokes, but you would have to select (not deselect) the Strokes option to outline the strokes. Deselecting the option means that the strokes are not being converted into filled (compound) objects.

You do not have to use the Object > Expand Appearance command in that context at all. Usually it is only available if there is at least one true appearance attribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually i figured it out, I was forgetting the last step to go to Path and then Join together and then save. This way its complete as an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you might also need to select all the strokes and choose <OBJECT> PATH / OUTLINE STROKE. Which will change your strokes into filled objects with no stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines