• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create shape and draw inside with any image

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I created two boxes one inside of another. I used no fill, just outline. I want to create my own kind of shapes and use the draw inside feature to add different colors or images. I thought using the group feature I could do this but each time i want to fill the frame or inside of my shape the fill covers up the smaller box. Can someone please help. Thank you.

Box.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

It sounds like you want to create a compound path which would mean that the smaller rectangle actually creates a hole so that when you fill the larger rectangle the center area does not get filled.

To create this as a compound path make sure that you draw the larger rectangle first and then draw the smaller one. Then with both rectangles selected use the keyboard command Command 8 on a Mac or Control 8 on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question isn't clear can you post the end result your trying to achieve. Are you trying to create photo frame with photo in centre?

" I thought using the group feature I could do this but each time i want to fill the frame or inside of my shape the fill covers up the smaller box."

Once you group the layers and fill the large box layer and if your smaller box is not visible after that ..than it means that your smaller box layer is below the larger box layer. So use Arrange option in illustrator to change the stacking order.

Select the larger box object > Right click to open context menu > Arrange > send to back.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you want to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you want to create a compound path which would mean that the smaller rectangle actually creates a hole so that when you fill the larger rectangle the center area does not get filled.

To create this as a compound path make sure that you draw the larger rectangle first and then draw the smaller one. Then with both rectangles selected use the keyboard command Command 8 on a Mac or Control 8 on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to select both rectangles

and using the Shape Builder Tool, click on inner and outer parts  to create two  separate shapes.

Then use draw inside mode on either or both.

To return to Draw inside after you have exited, double click on the path to enter Isolation mode, and continue drawing.

To add a fill do so in draw normal mode,

Draw inside is for adding strokes not images.

You need to use a clipping mask for that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines