Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[CS5/JS] Ann: Javascript Help as CHM

Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Illustrator forum!

For those as frustrated as me about the ESTK Help browser I converted the Help files to an easy readable and searchable, hyper-hyperlinked CHM version. CHM is originally a Windows file format, but don't let that deter you: it also works quite nice on a Mac, using Robin Lu's iCHM viewer.

Download link on my little part of the web (scroll down to "Illustrator").

The file contains just the functions of Illustrator, and you might also be interested in the ScriptUI and JS Base Class sets.

(It's relatively easy to create a same help file for CS4, and/or a set of HTML files. If anyone is interested, I'll make these as well.)

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just added Illustrator CS4 to the list.

If there is enough interest, I can generate the same friendly help for older versions, but to do so I need the appropriate data file! It's called "omv.xml", and I think it should be located in the folder "Library/Application Support/Adobe/Scripting Dictionaries (version)/Illustrator". Send me a Private message if you have one and want me to create the CHM. Please make sure to check my web page first 'cause you might be too late and it may already be there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jongware,

Thanks for the wonderful reference material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware!

I have been referred to this thread and your website looking for an alternative to the provided Object Model Viewer.  You seem to have improved upon the Adobe version and I was hoping to try it out on my Windows 7 64-bit computer.

Unfortunately, I have run into a bit of a snag.  After I download and extract the Illustrator CS5 .chm file from your website, I can't seem to view the content.  The Index/Table of Contents are all there, but it won't display any of the actual help file.

It seems that my computer needs me to OK a security check from your file, even though it doesn't require that from other .chm files.  I wouldn't think that that would mess anything up, but even if I click OK, I can't see the content.  I have a suspicion that my computer still has some sort of security measure turned on that is blocking the content.

Here is the security warning I get before I open your file:

CHM Warning.PNG

When I click Open, the Index/Table of Contents are all there, but none of the pages can be displayed, it looks like this:

Illustrator CS5 CHM.PNG

Compare this to a "trusted" .chm file (Microsoft Security Essentials) that doesn't require a Security dialog box:

CHM No Warning.PNG

Strange isn't it?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can I say ... It works just fine on my Windows 7, but then again I've always trusted my own documents. Try deselecting the "Always ask" checkbox, close the dialog, then re-open the file.

Ten A: You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Jongware] wrote:

Try deselecting the "Always ask" checkbox, close the dialog, then re-open the file.

Ha!  What a simple fix that is!  How can one little checkbox be such a big nuisance?  Thank you, Jongware, for the help with the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a helpful materials,

Thank you Jongware!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines