• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[CS5] Pixel rulers - how to change increments from 72?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When setting rulers to use Pixels as the unit, the ruler lines fall in increments of 72, or some multiple / factor thereof. This is great for working in points, but for the web, we're often more comfortable in units of 10 etc. Is there a way to ocver-ride the default behaviour?

Note: "changing zoom level" does not automatically fix this issue, as the base factor is still 72, not 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

No can do.

Use grids.

view >> show grid

eidt >> preferences >> guides and grid

Picture 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one unit you can still count on, and in the old days you could actually count it.

33 horsepower Combine harvester, Walla Walla, ca. 1902

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2014 Sep 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why machinists use hundredths and thousandths of an inch. Tolerance is much tighter than woodworking and seamstress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

yes, you're right. however, there have been many times when the 72 thing has hindered my workflow. i can't think of how or why at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Gordon! I've been searching for this answer for way too $$$-wasting-long.

Why must Adobe make everything so @#$!%^&* difficult? Freehand - so very, very old - is still SO far superior to this rubbish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a full stack developer, I can promise you that this is a real issue across the development spectrum, and a MASSIVE error on Adobe's part.

Customization is key to any design tool, and the fact that they don't let you customize rulers is bordering on the insane.

Not trying to be a flamer or a troll, but Adobe, you have simply been unprofessional in this respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bengrunfeld wrote:

As a full stack developer, I can promise you that this is a real issue across the development spectrum, and a MASSIVE error on Adobe's part.

Customization is key to any design tool, and the fact that they don't let you customize rulers is bordering on the insane.

Not trying to be a flamer or a troll, but Adobe, you have simply been unprofessional in this respect.

This, I whole heartily agree on. It actually would make their job easier, since they would not have to hard code any variables and have to update them in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And still no fix for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines