• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom text styling tool?

Engaged ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to customize text in Illustrator, and output outlined text to extrude in 3D etc:

Is there a feature that can add weight (thickness) to a font -WITHOUT using Stroke?

I though there was a stylize feature that could italisize, thicken text? Bloat?

I know I can skew text, which works well. I can also round corners of outlined text.

But I would like to THICKEN the weight of text not using stroke. I do seem to recall a way to create an outline of thext that HAS been stroked, but can't remember where or how.

I'd also like to add a slight wave or subtle Ripple to the outline, as can be done in PS. 

Thanks, not up on current features in AI

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Path > Offset path

Or use the Offset path effect and then Expand appearance (because that doesn't make a copy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I remembered some of the old tricks, stroke, then Outline Stroke etc. After a few steps I get get close to what I want. But is there not a STYLIZE TEXT feature that can non destructively alter & manipluate text, THEN make an outline copy? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator doesn't do that kind of sting to type.

So the closest you can get to non-destructive is use the Offset path effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.

I was able to get from point A to B after a few steps. Very non standard, but perfect for the task. I would like to see a non destructive Type Styling tool, rather than a series of permanent non interelated tools.Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 2.55.07 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that works well -thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with using OTF Variable Fonts? Adobe Illustrator is able to utilize such fonts and even has a few bundled into the application (such as Acumin Variable Concept). Variable fonts will have one or more "axes" to allow the properties such as weight and width to be adjusted in an almost limitless number of incremental steps. Just about all variable fonts have a weight axis to adjust it from light to bold (or even very thin to ultra black). This is different and typographically superior to approaches that artificially bolden text. Variable fonts with width axes can "squeeze" or "stretch" the type while keeping the vertical and horizontal stroke weights in harmony with each other, unlike the horrible looking fun house mirror garbage that occurs when type is artificially squeezed and stretched.

As far as adding ripple effects and what not to type edges you can try converting letters to outlines and applying art brush or pattern brush effects to the paths to roughen or alter them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that you can save you style in Graphics Styles or text styles. My 2 cent.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines