• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dingbat glyph changes when pdf opened in Illustrator

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File created in InDesign, exported as pdf. When I open the pdf in Illustrator, the dingbat bullet changes from the original glyph to something different.  This is a new problem since the recent update.  (SO many problems with this update).

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Here's a weird thing. Try type a single character of the box glyph somewhere on the page and send it to the back. Then try it again.

I do remember dealing with this issue back in the olddd (CS3??) days, where glyphs used specifically as bullet list characters (but not elsewhere) sometime encoded differently than the font's native encoding (Always hex:1D (decimal 29) off and this seems to be happening here. your box should be hex0063 but is encoding as hex0046, which is exactly 1D.) so maybe an o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this recently created on the same machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!  I even tried making a new pdf from InDesign and opening that in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font did you use, there are many dingbats fonts. Is it an OpenType font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Wingdings, Open Type (TT) font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a mac os system font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a pdf that shows the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce the problem on a whole new file.  Both are attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your files show the problem, my files don't. Can you also share an InDesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is.  Obviously something on my computer... but which software do I have to delete and reinstall??
I can't upload a packaged file... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your InDesign file I can reproduce the problem, even if I add a recent used bullet glyph.

Using the same glyph in a new document works fine.

So far it is a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my InDesign test. Does that work on your machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yours worked!  So... now to figure out where the glitch is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I need to hop over to the InDesign forum, because I'm having massive font problems.  When I create a new file, the fonts behave as expected.  When I past a normally-behaving text box from the new file into a file created in the previous InDesign, the fonts CHANGE to a different font.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing... it appears to work to paste the text boxes from the old file into a new file... now the glyphs are correct when opened in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So it looks more like a corrupted InDesign file. May be worth reporting it at the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it's Wingdings, for me it looks rather like Webdings in your screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I got 3 Windings fonts and a Webdings. The Webdings has the factory glyph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good eye!  Yes, it's Webdings.  Same issue though. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening the PDF in Illustrator is there any warnings about missing fonts? Does the PDF file preview correctly in Adobe Acrobat DC or Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No warnings about fonts, they show up correctly, and it view correctly in Acrobat and online.  It's SO weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the document been edited across Mac and PC platforms?

Windows has a Webdings system font as well. The glyphs look mostly the same and in the same glyph table assignments. But when I select the factory building glyph (in Windows' Character Map app) the character code listed for it is "0x24." Unicode listsings are grayed-out; I don't see anything that corresponds with the "U+f0fb" register from the MacOS screen shot image in the original post.

If the document had jumped between Mac and Windows platforms it's possible some sort of conflict could be going on between the Mac and Windows flavors of the Webdings font and baked some bad data into the PDF. Generally I don't like taking a PDF generated by InDesign and trying to open it in Illustrator. The files are not very edit-friendly. But you can't open an INDD file in Illustrator either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, nothing like that. Just my own computer.  The only thing is that I updated the Adobe apps and also my Typeface font management app (I have a help request in to them too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you export that PDF, which options? I can't reproduce it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default press-quality pdf export.  I think this has to do with the recent update, because I've been using these same files for months without an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines