• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dingbat glyph changes when pdf opened in Illustrator

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File created in InDesign, exported as pdf. When I open the pdf in Illustrator, the dingbat bullet changes from the original glyph to something different.  This is a new problem since the recent update.  (SO many problems with this update).

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Here's a weird thing. Try type a single character of the box glyph somewhere on the page and send it to the back. Then try it again.

I do remember dealing with this issue back in the olddd (CS3??) days, where glyphs used specifically as bullet list characters (but not elsewhere) sometime encoded differently than the font's native encoding (Always hex:1D (decimal 29) off and this seems to be happening here. your box should be hex0063 but is encoding as hex0046, which is exactly 1D.) so maybe an o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a weird thing. Try type a single character of the box glyph somewhere on the page and send it to the back. Then try it again.

I do remember dealing with this issue back in the olddd (CS3??) days, where glyphs used specifically as bullet list characters (but not elsewhere) sometime encoded differently than the font's native encoding (Always hex:1D (decimal 29) off and this seems to be happening here. your box should be hex0063 but is encoding as hex0046, which is exactly 1D.) so maybe an old issue has resurfaced?

That being said, it's not uncommon for subset fonts (e.g. XXXXXX+Webdings), especialy CID encoded ones, to totally rewrite their own encoding for the purposes of printing the PDF. But when you want to do something else with it, like open them in Illustrator, it's not a recommended practice at the best of times, and weird font encodings is up there on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's gotten worse... something is terribly wrong.  I tried adding a new text box in InDesign and typing into it, and it wouldn't let me type the letter S.  (Obviously, I can type it fine anywhere else) and it randomly changed the font to the Webdings font.  so... I'm thinking the problem is with InDesign.  Now to figure out how to reinstall the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines