• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Illustrator cc 2017 zoom to selection?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated my PC to the latest version of Illustrator, there is one feature that's bugging me, zoom to selection. I can see the appeal but i don't want it, it's disrupting my workflow, anyone know how to turn it off, when they introduced animated zoom, the GPU section of Preferences had a checkbox to disable it, I was hoping that zoom to selection may have a similar option, anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

>>>SOLUTION<<<

In Illustrator CC 2018, Adobe finally fixed this by adding a check box under preferences Section & Anchor Display.  You can disable Zoom To Selection.  It is enabled by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 167 Replies 167
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I go back to Illustrator 2015 will I be able to open my newer files into that older version? Adobe used to not have that capability. And, which specific version should I go back to that is STABLE and w/out all these garbage "features"? (The new versions of Illustrator and/or Photoshop are also filling up my Temp folder and making the programs draaaaaaaag. I have to delete them several times a day.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping there is a solution to this, it's driving me mad!! It needs to go away, or make it optional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so bloody annoying!

I need to use eyedropper a lot in my work to pick colors from tiny reference details, but as soon as I select my object and try to zoom on reference - BOOM! - I get my artwork again.

Drives me nuts.

Could they at least make this an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is killing my workflow. They've altered the most common command in Adobe illustrator without reason and without a way to turn it off? Absolutely crazy.

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. By default this option really annoying, I am forced right now by Adobe to remember that I have to deselect the object before using zoom in/out tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Very annoying and disorienting. I used Cmd+ or Cmd- a lot. Now I'm forced to use Space + Cmd or Space + Cmd + Alt, which is not only forcing me to change the way I work and slowing me down, but is not as nice as the Cmd+ or Cmd- shortcuts as it adds an extra space into a text string when you're in text edit mode, not to mention extra button presses and clicks. It would be great if the original zoom behavior was restored, and zoom to selection was relegated to an option or a different hotkey combination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AWFUL change. ADOBE PLEASE CHANGE THIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Include me in the list requesting for ADOBE to PLEASE CHANGE THIS BACK.

When marquee dragging a frame with the zoom tool you instead are rudely surprised with this annoying zoom to selection. Maybe all you need to do is make marquee zoom tool & clicking with the zoom tool override zoom to selection. Please make zoom to selection harder to get to, some hot key (e.g.: Ctrl Command +/-).

Can we get this to work as before or an option to turn this on in preferences, with the default being OFF. You atleast did this for the new interface, so we can turn slower more technically unstable "File Newsance" interface off.

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 4.59.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In agreement with just about everyone else in here that we should at least have the ability to turn this off in both illustrator and photoshop. My productivity has literally been halved. Very frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS DRIVING ME F*ING INSANE!!! There seriously has to be a way to turn this off??? Has anyone contacted Adobe in regards to this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted a bug/feature request through Illustrator and I encourage others to do the same. In Illustrator go to Help > Submit Bug/Feature Request... and fill out the form. Hopefully someone reads these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submitted a bug report - if you do care about this feature then go and do the same, it takes 1 minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I indeed do recommend everyone do the same. I have created a note on my computer with the same text and submitted bug reports daily since I downloaded the new version of CC2017.

Any day now, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I got my whole team to do the same. For anyone that doesn't know how, go to "Help", then, "submit bug/ feature request"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a bug on the prerelease forum about this being a disaster, as I knew this would happen.

PLEASE MAKE ZOOM TO SELECTION AN OPTIONAL SETTING WITH THE DEFAULT TO BE OFF. Suggestion:  make zoom to selection a hot key that requires more keys (eg.: option command +).

Keep posting responses to this post, Adobe will notice as they eventually review posts with the most responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to have to agree with the anger on this thread. This feature is really annoying and is counterintuitive 99% of the time. Could have created a shortcut variation for it instead of changing the function of a shortcut that is already heavily used. AT LEAST LET US DISABLE IT!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is seriously affecting my workflow and driving me borderline insane.  I should be able to turn this off!!!    PLEASE!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

option click drag to duplicate an element in illustrator is part of its life blood for a designer.

ZOOMING to the max (in and out) while doing that is the MOST ANNOYING thing I have seen. Illustrator and photoshop does that to me.

PLEASE FIX THIS. I have used these applications since they're inception. Now you are making my job a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davids30337159 wrote:

option click drag to duplicate an element in illustrator is part of its life blood for a designer.

ZOOMING to the max (in and out) while doing that is the MOST ANNOYING thing I have seen. Illustrator and photoshop does that to me.

Does Option Click Drag an element zoom for you?

This is not a normal behaviour in CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ton.

with a magic mouse on my mac in Illustrator CC 17 if you click option and your finger moves even slightly on the mouse the page will zoom.

If you click option and purposefully scroll the mouse the page will zoom. Yes, I understand this (and don't know how to turn this off )

But...

if you are duplicating an element (option click drag ) and you are not extremely careful and not roll your finger even the slightest the page will zoom on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand David, it must be the magic of the mouse, but that is a different problem from the Zoom to selection in this thread.

Please start a new topic with the problem of duplicating and zooming with the Magic Mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[In response to Ton...regarding the Alt-Drag Copy method...]

Yes, it's become default for AI, as a lot of us use the Apple Magic Mouse.

When we are Alt-Dragging to make copies, we inadvertantly trigger the "Alt-Scroll Wheel" zooming/scrolling "feature".

It's a regular occurrence that I have to wait for AI to redraw my file, as it catches up with the keyboard/mouse input.

This problem is different than the OP's issue, mind you. It's just another zoom/scroll feature that's new and not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree that the feature is "totally useless", because for me, I was happy to see the feature introduced since I wanted a way to do it for some time. HOWEVER, I absolutely agree that there should be and OPTION to disable it if desired AS WELL as assigning it to it's own keyboard shortcut. I like the feature, but I also like the old way of working, so to totally disable it means it's one or the other... why can't we have BOTH??

As someone else stated something similar, how about just adding an ADDITIONAL entry in the Keyboard Shortcuts, so that we could, for example, keep Cmd/Ctrl_+ as the "old/legacy" zoom behavior, and another entry for "Zoom to Selection" where you can add Opt/Alt to Cmd/Ctrl_+ (I'm not a developer, but that seems like a simple fix).

I LIKE IT, I use it often, but after years of using the "old" method which is just muscle memory at this point, it IS a workflow killer to hit it expecting the old behavior, then have to zoom back out, then Deselect All (remember there is a shortcut for this too guys, if it helps anyone), then finally zoom back in with the old method.

It's a good feature, just give us the CHOICE, PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you are looking for? Preferences > GPU Performance > deselect Animated Zoom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not who you were replying to, but I checked it myself, and NO, it doesn't disable the Zoom to Selection feature if turning off Preferences > GPU Performance > deselect Animated Zoom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines