• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

divide a curve of a precise measurement

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to divide a curve to place a point there which would be at a precise distance, this point will serve as a reference point to place a mark there. For example I have a curve that is 37 cm from point A to point B and I would like on this curve from point A to point C it is 23 cm. I want to place a notche on a sewing pattern curve. Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Hi Emma,

here is a video I made as discussed. I hope it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you upload a screenshot of what you want to do, with point A B etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2021-02-25 à 11.04.35.png

is that what you are asking? i am a beginner and english is not my native language

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, i see. You can draw a line on the curve (C) path as you have done and then what I would do is right click on the line and select "make guides". Then press C on keyboard to select the scissors tool, hover over the intersection until the guide info says "intersect" and then click. You would have now cut the path where you wanted.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer but it is not at all. I am trying to place my point C by measuring exactly one length.

I think that illustrator does not offer this function and that it is necessary to use vector scribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so following the curve is 37 cm from A to B and not a straight line from A to B? Just to make sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyway there is a way to do it.

Cut the curve part so its on its own, copy it and undo (if you like) then paste. Make sure EXACTLY what the curve is by going to Window>Document Info and check Objects

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 13.10.40.jpg

when you select the cut curve it will give the measurement.

Then:

goto Stroke select dashed line type 23cm in the first box, click Preserve exact dash measurements,

then

goto Object Expand, ungroup and release compound path if you have to.

you can either cut the path where the dash ends or dragg the measured "dash" to your artwork and use ase a precise measurement tool. From there you can do what ever you want. Cut the path at the exact measurement or add a shape etc

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 13.23.45.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2021-02-25 à 16.30.59.png

thank you for your help but i'm so so sorry i don't understand how to select 23 (for this exemple i want 8cm).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try since yesterday and I can not do that. I am a beginner and need a tutorial or screenshots. Can anybody help me? I don't understand how to do all of this

Then:

goto Stroke select dashed line type 23cm in the first box, click Preserve exact dash measurements,

then

goto Object Expand, ungroup and release compound path if you have to.

you can either cut the path where the dash ends or dragg the measured "dash" to your artwork and use ase a precise measurement tool. From there you can do what ever you want. Cut the path at the exact measurement or add a shape etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma, I will try to make a video tomorrow for you. Its a lot easier than you think but maybe there is a step you are missing somewhere

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for your help, i am very greatful.

it is not easy for a beginner who does not speak English very well to understand everything. 

Emma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emma,

Just set the first Tiret to 23 cm (include cm to specify the unit which will otherwise be pt).

Doing what Grant said, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if i want a lenght of 8 cm B to ca , hoaw should do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma,

change the direction of the stroke and repeat the above or you can math out the dashes, but i think to keep it simple reverse the path direction of that curve so the dash will start at B

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised that you may not know how to do that: to change the direction of a path select your pen tool and click on the "C" or last anchor point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma,

here is a video I made as discussed. I hope it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Grant. I need to watch it a few times and practice but I think I got it.

You save me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my pleasure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines