• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document setup simulate color background no longer working properly on my laptop

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

Just recently if I go to document setup and try to pick a different color to simulate a colored background it no longer works. I use a Microsoft Surface laptop. My coworker has a Mac and it still functions properly for her. We are on the same version 28.5.

For me I go to:

• Document Setup
  • I click on the top color box and switch it to black and then check "Simulate Colored Page"
  • When I hit ok the whole canvas turns black and I can no longer see my objects.
  • They are still there, I just can't see them at all. If I blindly click around to select objects I can see the selection outline and I if I look in the shape properties panel I can see their fill and outline colors are still correct.

IF I pick a color (ex blue, purple, red...), the background changes to that color, I can see my objects but its like the background is a filter over them because the color looks like its sitting under a semi transparent red/blue/purple object.

This is a real pain as I use this feature frequently.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Hello @Caroline24427961wrhk,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind performing a clean reinstallation of the GPU drivers (Intel / NVIDIA / AMD) and setting the Graphics Preference to High-Performance for Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/4cCY61l) and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work in CPU preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows "Simulate Coloured Paper" only works as expected when using CPU preview, as far as I remember.

When using GPU preview, the display is just as if a coloured rectangle is at the background (no coloured paper simulation).

The screenshots above indicate that CPU preview is turned on in all documents. So it may be that switching to GPU is what she wants (though it is then the wrong behaviour, strictly speaking).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, so I looked and next to the file name it says "CPU Preview". This is relatively new... in my files it only use to just say "Preview". I tried to go to "View" menu to see my options and I see GPU but its greyed out so I can't select it.

On my co-workers it is not greyed out and she is in default GPU, so the dark background works for her but if she switched to CPU she gets what I am experiencing. So I'm guessing the issue is I need to be in GPU only Illustrator won't let me.

So I though maybe it was a weird setting in the files I had, so I had her send me the document she was testing on, when I open it on my laptop it instantly goes in CPU Preview and GPU is disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding on. I found this setting in Performance and GPU was unchecked, so I checked it. That defaulted me back to GPU Preview and enabled the toggle to CPU Preview but when I change the background in GPU nothing happens. When I switch to CPU I get the issue I had before. So confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been reported quite often that GPU preview sometimes is not available for some (sometimes unexplained) reasons.

Can you turn on GPU preview in a new document? Or can't you use it at all?

If you can use GPU in a blank document, then you may want to share the file that does not allow you to use it. So someone can have a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Caroline24427961wrhk,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind performing a clean reinstallation of the GPU drivers (Intel / NVIDIA / AMD) and setting the Graphics Preference to High-Performance for Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/4cCY61l) and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try. I have to submit a helpdesk ticket internally to do it as I don't have permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Anubhav,

I was able to get our IT to update my drivers today and now it works again! thanks for the recommendation 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could do it only after I changed that setting in Preferences but in GPU preview the background color doesn't change at all now so I still can't use that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you do a screen refresh in GPU preview (just zoom in or out once or a couple of times)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that too, nothing 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines