Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DPI of a linked image, illustrator - extendscript

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating a script that needs to be able to find the DPI of a linked image. I presume there must be some way of getting to this data as it is in the links window in illustrator.

I do also need to get other information in that window (colour space & scale), but the DPI is the one im struggling with at the moment.

Mac 10.9, illustrator CS6, extendscript

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

there are two options here, one via Object Matrix, the other via opening the image in Photoshop

Resolution check in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could try this workaround...

Retreiving Embedded Images Information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imagecollection,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the trace method already, it does not seem to work on linked images, plus it is not something i want to use if i can get away with it as it would be very memory intensive with the amount of images im trying to get the data from.

I was more wondering if there is something that Adobe have not documented or if it would be possible to get the information from the files themselves outside of illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very possible from outside illustrator. but I would not know where to start as you are on a mac.

i Would have resorted to an AHK script or some such. But that is not on mac. Not sure where to point you for that. Maybe there is a macster out there with a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are two options here, one via Object Matrix, the other via opening the image in Photoshop

Resolution check in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if it would be possible through the documents XMP data or the image XMP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document XMP? have a look at it, if the info is there, then it may be possible to retrieve it.

Image XMP? same as above, except you need a reference to the image file itself.

Give those two options a try and we go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assistance, both of you.

After looking at the XMP i have discovered that only Tiff files have the relevent data that i need and as there will be multiple file formats that the script will need to read this is not an option.

I have used the bridge talk script from the other post that you linked and adapted it to search through all files in the document and quit photoshop when finished.

One last question, is there anyway to find out if photoshop is already running? i dont want it to close the application if the user already had it open before running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if (BridgeTalk.getStatus('photoshop') == 'ISNOTRUNNING') alert ('safe to close when done');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic! thanks carlos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

read the link carlos posted.

2 solutions that beat the rear meat off doing a trace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines