• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enlarge limit

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2x2 inch jpeg that's been made using 16 color vector.  I'd like to enlarge it to 60x80 inches and I know it will cut off the sides. That's fine. But can I use the 2x2 inch jpeg to make the 60x80 inch print or do I need to enlarge it in illustrator first?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Be clear you do not have a vector and you must make a vector in Illustrator. Auto trace might work, or redraw. The JPEG is a useful thing for you to copy from, not a useful thing for enlarging.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! cubsterky,

When you say JPEG/JPG/PNG, you refer to a raster image. When printing, your vector wont be recognized as a vector. Therefore you need to enlarge vector to that specific print size in order to avoid blurry output.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your 2x2 inch JPEG is around 2,000 ppi, you should have plenty of pixels to enlarge it to 60 x 80. But that's unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be clear you do not have a vector and you must make a vector in Illustrator. Auto trace might work, or redraw. The JPEG is a useful thing for you to copy from, not a useful thing for enlarging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cubsterky,

In addition to what has already been said, my guess is that for your purpose PNG will be a better choice for a most crisp and clear appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines