Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCad 2009

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been working for some time on wood moulding profiles made in Adobe Illustrator, exporting as a 2004 DWG, and inserting as a block in an AutoCad file. I have architects that may use these wood moulding profiles and I have had problems along the way in moving from one program to the other. I have over 500 of these so redrawing them in AutoCad is not a wanted answer really.

When I try to Insert the Illustrator DWG files I get an error message saying "The NLS files requred to convert text entites and symbol names cannot be found in your system". There is no text in these files, just line drawings. So thats ok.

But when I place the DWG file in AutoCad there is nothing there, or just points. Has anyone had any luck bringing an AI DWG file into AutoCad?

Thank you so much for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Well it depends on the artwork and output... but I prefer Raster file format PNG (not that it makes a dif in the actual "working" side of things, Also what artwork scale do you need and depending on artwork you may or maynot have to check Scale Line weights. Also check outline text.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must rather export to autoCad interchange (DXF) file with correct options selected.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying Grant. Could you tell me what the correct options are please? I have been choosing these options:

AutoCad Version 2004/05/06

Keeping artwork scale unchecked

Number of Colors: True Colors

JPG raster file format

Options:  Maximum Editability

Thank you,

Danielle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it depends on the artwork and output... but I prefer Raster file format PNG (not that it makes a dif in the actual "working" side of things, Also what artwork scale do you need and depending on artwork you may or maynot have to check Scale Line weights. Also check outline text.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help. I have worked on a few profiles using your suggestion and so far, so good.

Thanks again.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool: I do a lot of "fancy" metal signage for a company, exporting to DXF never had the laser cutter company moan..

glad i could help.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grant-I could use your help. I am trying to export a design in DWG format in Illustrator to someone using Autocad 2006.  It's not working!  What exactly should I do? I appreciate your help.  I am clueless. THanks, Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-I know your post is really old but I could REALLY use your help!  I am trying to export a file from Illustrator to a company that uses AutoCAD 2006.  I am sending it to them in DWG format and they can't read it. What was the outcome of your inquiry? what worked? I appreciate your help so much!! thanks, Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annie,

I used the settings Grant gave above and my cads worked out great. You can always save your file as a PDF file and see if they can open that. I would first try exporting your file as a dxf out of Illustrator with the options checked that Grant gave above.

- Export as a DXF

- Choose Raster file format PNG

- choose the artwork scale you need

- Scale Line weights. Also check outline text.

At the same time, also send them a PDF file of your art.

Good luck!

Danielle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for answering Danielle.  I tried this but not much luck. It's really strange.  All of my companies who are requesting DWG format for Autocad (one has Autocad 2006 and one has Autocad 2013) are having trouble.  I'm not really sure where to turn next.  If you have any suggestions for further resources, please let me know.  I can send them a PDF but will have to pay a fee to them every time which was whole reason I bought Illustrator.  Anyway, thanks again and if you have any other ideas for me LMK.  Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annie,

Try saving your file to its simplest level that you can before exporting as a DXF. Save it with a new name (to preserve the original file), then flatten layers, outline text, get rid of hidden things. Then try exporting as a DXF. If they can open a DWG, then they should be able to open a DXF.

I used to use a program called CadMover by Kandu Software to move files between Illustrator and AutoCad. But with the newer versions of Illustrator and using the exporting options listed above I haven't needed it.

Good luck to you,

Danielle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Annie,

We just released v10 of pdf2cad and it now also converts AI and EPS to DWG. You can try it free for 30 days or send the file to us and we'll convert it for you. The nice thing about this conversion is that it is a vector extraction - all the objects in the DWG file should be editable in AutoCAD. One caution - pdf2cad will not be able to convert drawings produced on scanners. Good luck!

jean

www.pdf2cad.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines