• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient not printing accurate from digital printing shop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The freeform gradient I made for a label looks how we want when printed from an inkjet or lazer printer.

But when sent to digital printer for production, they come out muddy and blended. 

I asked the printer if rasterizing the gradent layers before print would fix it, but they said their printer rasterizes everything before it prints it anyways. 

How can I insure my gradient come out the same as an office ink jet print ?

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 2.51.09 PM.png20230711_145202.jpg

TOPICS
Experiment , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Thanks for the feedback. You raised plenty of good points.

I called our printer after receving some reprints of the same label, and their responce was that they had used an older label printer that "did not like" the gradient and in turn printed a muddy image. They now know to use an HP Printer for printing labels with complex gradients. 

There is a rabbit hole here that I would love to dive into, but at the end of the day I'm happy enough with the explanation being "the older printer didn't lik

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it is true that everything gets rasterized before printing, it might still help to not send a live freeform gradient to the printer. Some prepress tech just cannot handle them well.

But on top of that, the printing process might also just lead to muddy results. But you might want to talk about the color issue with the printer separately. Because that could also happen no matter what you send them. Ask them what color spectrum is supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for that input. I'm going to give them a call.

Im having press proofs printed soon, I'll comment the results here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kinds of files are you sending to the printing company? Adobe Illustrator AI files or PDF files? I would ask the printing company about the kinds of printers they were using and the large format RIP software being used to run them. In order to print objects with freeform gradients it's critical for the RIP software to feature an Adobe certified PDF engine (not to mention be properly updated).

Another critical thing: if the printing company has to open your art file before printing, even if it is just for creating a PDF to import into the RIP software, they absolutely must open the file in Adobe Illustrator. Freeform gradients don't work outside an Adobe software environment. For instance, if they tried importing an AI file with freeform gradients into CorelDRAW, Affinity Designer or some other rival drawing application the gradient fills would break and/or be rasterized.

Was the artwork you gave the printer RGB or CMYK based? If you designed in RGB that could possibly explain some of the "muddy" print results. Purple colors can be really tricky to print, especially if they're RGB. It's easy to go outside a printer's gamut range capabilities when working in RGB. Some printers that have additional inks such as Light Magenta and Light Cyan can push things a good bit, but they're still limited on what they can print in RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the feedback. You raised plenty of good points.

I called our printer after receving some reprints of the same label, and their responce was that they had used an older label printer that "did not like" the gradient and in turn printed a muddy image. They now know to use an HP Printer for printing labels with complex gradients. 

There is a rabbit hole here that I would love to dive into, but at the end of the day I'm happy enough with the explanation being "the older printer didn't like that gradient". 

20230714_131522.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines