• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help needed with understanding color printing profiles

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm creating digital artwork and would like to print it, but I have no experience with color modules (like Fogra, how to export it in the right way.) Is there any way to learn how to do this? For example, to understand that a certain color will look off in print?

Any help is appreciatedd 

TOPICS
How-to , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you understand color management?

If not, you need to start with that. 

Then calibrate your system.

If you are collaborating with a printing service, then discuss the profiles used with them. Get test prints ,etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

Thank you flr your reply.

I will definitely learn the color management. I do work with a copyshop but they jist print without the specific profiles. Last time I asked they said that their profile is Fogra52, but I don't know what to do with this info 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they cannot really name you color profiles or know about their workflow, then I would request test prints from them.

You could set up the profile in your color management - the question is whether that has any effect.

Exactly what are you printing? On what kind of printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

You can find my artwork attached.

So its always different collors, thats why I want toearn how to work with them. Also, Im printing on Canon ImagPress V1350, but without a right color profile its just a printer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those photos? Or artwork created in Illustrator?

Without any guidance by the printing service, all you can do is do it like in the old days. Have them print color ramps, so that you can compare - such as this:  . Or have them print test prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a vector artwork, created in Illustrator. 
Thanks for the tip. The colors in general are good, I notice only that grey/blue/ red colors are a bit dull (I think that has something to do with the color coverage), and I would really like to understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk to the printing service about that. Could be that the colors are just difficult for the printer. Or maybe you could get better results with an RGB file.

You could also test some different versions of those colors to get better results (try that out with a color chart)

But the printer should be able to advise you with their system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely try an RGB option, I did tried different color settings but without a good result (evrything looks the same in my opinion). I definitely do something wrong there:)

is there any videos/ courses/ books where I can learn to understand it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of courses on Print production and color management on LinkedIn Learning (by Nigel French or Claudia McCue for example)

And you could also check out this channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PrintDesignAcademy

This helps you with the recommended approach to print production. But when your provider cannot give you relevant information about the profiles they use, then you will also have to discuss with them. What do they recommend? Which colors are the ones that do not work for you? Also: They way you see those colors on your monitor might not be the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

Thanks a lot for all the tips! I will dive into learning:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome! 

And good luck with printing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll look into color management. Since the copyshop uses the Fogra52 profile, you should adjust your files to match this profile for accurate color output. You can typically set this profile in your design software’s color settings before sending files to print.

Best regards,
[Your Name]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I’ll look into color management. Since the copyshop uses the Fogra52 profile, you should adjust your files to match this profile for accurate color output. You can typically set this profile in your design software’s color settings before sending files to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ansar,

Thank you for your reply. I am doing that, at least I think I do:) I downloaded Fogra52 settings, installed them but there is no difference as if were printing in Adobe PDF standard settings 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines