• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you switch off or disable Live Corners in Illustrator?

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've recently done the new Illustrator CC update and want to know if it is possible to switch off or disable the Live Corners feature in the new Illustrator CC update? For the type of work I do, having this feature on is really quite annoying and not practical.

If someone could please let me know that would be much appericated.

Thanks,

Agip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Hide the corner widget.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to:

Preferences>General>Use Preview Bounds. (Uncheck this last feature)

Then go to: View >Hide bounding box. This will disable the live corners.

hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
Finally I found the solution to this stupid problem:

Live Corners widget preferences

Hide Corner Widget

• If you prefer not to see the Live Corners widget when you select the Direct Selection Tool, you can turn it off from View > Hide Corner Widget.
  • If you want to continue seeing the Live Corners widget when you select the Direct Selection Tool, click View > Show Corner Widget.

How to work with Live Corners in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody already knows about that, and it is not a solution to the problem at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I didn't know that, so it worked for me, so I'm in heaven now! 🙂

Good luck guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, KrisHunt. You might have stars by your name, but that last answer was the answer I was looking for too! "Everybody", I daresay longtime illustrator users, certainly does not know about the "Hide Corner Widget" command. It is a new command, just like the corner widget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixelwash wrote:

Yes, KrisHunt. You might have stars by your name, but that last answer was the answer I was looking for too! "Everybody", I daresay longtime illustrator users, certainly does not know about the "Hide Corner Widget" command. It is a new command, just like the corner widget.

Turning off the corner widget does not disable live corners. It just turns off the corner widget. Any corners that were live before the corner widget is turned off will remain live, and new live corners can still be created with the corner widget turned off, as evidenced by the fact that you can transform a shape without the corners being scaled or transformed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

****FOUND A FIX!!!!**** Ok so turning off the widget is just a bandaid on a bullet wound. I found the solution today and I want to share it with everyone. Here's the step by step to TURNING OFF Live shapes. This will prevent Illustrator from creating live shapes by default. you'll go back to normal shapes in which you can reset the bounding box etc.

1. Quit Illustrator CC

2. (On a mac) click on "GO" on the top menu bar of OSX

3. Click "Option" while on "GO" This will make the "Library" folder appear

4. In "Library" scroll down to "Preferences"

5. Go to "Illustrator CC (Or Illustrator 20 or higher) "Settings"
6. In the "en_US" folder you'll find a file called "Adobe Illustrator Prefs" >Open it with textedit

7. Once the file is open hit (Command "F") and type in "Live" (No quotes)

8. Look for the line of code that reads "CreateLiveShapes 1"

9. Change the value of this code from "1" to "0"

10. Save the file and close

That's it! Keep in mind that you ever delete your preferences file you'll have to repeat this process

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great! Thanks for sharing. Maybe a similar hack will fix Symbols so they save as normal symbols by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, this is probably too late, you don't necessarily have to turn them off, my issue was the scaling which, when I scaled the object it messed up the round corners. If you go to preferences, there's a scale round corners checkbox, doesn't turn them off, but changed the annoying behaviour of readjusting the corners as the object was scaled, hope it helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Shape > Expand Shape

You don't need any 3rd party software to disable this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pour tous les français coincés avec ce problème et qui n'ont pas un bac+5 "compréhension de traductions foirées", l'option est dans le menu affichage et s'appelle en toute logique "widget masquer l'angle".

Evidemment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines