• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to draw 377 equal segments within a circle or pie chart?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds simple! But proving to be a challenge!

I need to create 377 equal segments in a circle or pie chart, but without going beyond 2 decimal places with either the rotate tool or the pie chart tool, I am not able to achieve accuracy.

Rotate tool:

To fit into the circle equally each segment is an angle of 0.9549071618 degrees... but the maximum decimal places in the rotate tool I can input is 2 so I end up with 0.95. which means I will have 378.94 segments. Is there a way to increase the number of decimal places when using the rotate tool?

If I draw a line across the circle's diameter and rotate 0.95 degrees for presumably roughly 180 times, I end up with what looks like all equal sections except for one. I haven't tried doing it with the radius yet.

Pie chart tool:

To get 377 segments in my pie chart it's 100/377, so each segment is 0.2652519894% of the whole pie. If I manually input a cell of data it rounds to 2 decimal places again, 0.27%, and if I import the data (377 lines each saying 0.265251984) from excel as a .csv again it rounds to two decimal places 0.27%. Either way my pie chart doesn't work at all, I end up with a big flat thick line of nothing. Do pie charts have a max number of segments?

I became a graphic designer so I didn't have to think about maths ever again! (takes cover as people shout about how precise lots of graphic design has to be, I know, I know)

This kind of calculating is frying my brain, help much appreciated!

Can I increase the number of decimal places in my illustrator general settings?

Thank you!

Sharon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

would you not do this:

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 2.27.13 PM.png

and than command d to duplicate:

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 2.29.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried transform effect via the aparance panel?

You need to make 376 copies because you already have 1 initial line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would you not do this:

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 2.27.13 PM.png

and than command d to duplicate:

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 2.29.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Rotate dialog, enter 360/377 instead of 0,95 °.

Illustrator will still display 0,95 °, but behind the curtain it will rotate using more accurate settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree because

Effect > Distort and Transform > Transform

1111111111111111111111.png

type in 0.95

222222222222.png

type in 0.9549

333333333333333.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make this with one click using the Polar Grid tool: Screenshot 2019-03-27 15.42.30.png

Screenshot 2019-03-27 15.49.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use the Polar Grid Tool and just set the number of dividers to the number of segments you need. Ungroup and manipulate as needed.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharon,

For the Polar Grid way suggested by Susan and Peter (in whichever order best fits the possible rift(s) in the space time continuum), you may wish to select the Radial Divider Group and scale it up a wee bit (from the centre), then select all and Pathfinder>Divide if you wish to have (Grouped) independent pie paths; or make sure you have a sufficient gap in the gap detection if you are going to use Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful! Thank you all very much. I will try all the different solutions provided.

Not sure how to mark my original question as properly answered? It says 'assumed answered' but it is definitely properly answered!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Sharon.

I hope you will report your findings.

Going back to your own first attempt,

Pie chart tool:

To get 377 segments in my pie chart it's 100/377,

How about just using 100/377 directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines