• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get color options -- all I have is grayscale

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Brand-new Illustrator user here. I just took two days of beginner Illustrator courses and have run into a dozen issues already of things that weren't covered in the class. Apologies for the basic questions, I'm only asking questions I couldn't find answers to elsewhere (probably because I'm not sure how to phrase them for the search).

I have an image that I pulled in as a PDF. It's a black-and-white image. I want to add colors, so I went to the Color panel to select something. But all I have are grayscale options. If I click the color menu, it says "Grayscale," so I changed the selection to CMYK. I also tried RGB. But nothing changes, and it just goes back to Grayscale.

How do I make it so my color menu shows colors? Thank you.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

You opened a PDF file. In the course you probably only created new files and those are based on templates that have all the swatches. You can take the swatches panel and just create new swatches. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/how-to/color-basics.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

It should get active when you click on the stroke (at the moment the fill is focused and it's set to None)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try whether this soves it: Help! My Image is Grey and Doesn't Take Color 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I think I have a much more basic option. My only color swatches are black, white, and no color. I suspect this is less of a bug and more of an issue of my own ignorance. How do I get the other color swatches to show up? This was never an issue in the course I just took -- the colors were all there by default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You opened a PDF file. In the course you probably only created new files and those are based on templates that have all the swatches. You can take the swatches panel and just create new swatches. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/how-to/color-basics.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried following those instructions, but the "New Swatch" button is inactive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should get active when you click on the stroke (at the moment the fill is focused and it's set to None)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest solution is to go to File→New, choose a PRINT template, you can modify the height and width to what you want before you hit Create.

Go to your greyscale doc, select all, copy, go to your new doc, paste.

You'll have all the default colors that come with Illy in your new doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines