Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make boxes in AI that would have overlapped edges

Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make two boxes that should be overlapped by .50 inches. I have posted a screenshot of what I am trying to do. I would appreciate instructions on how to overlap these two boxes by .50 inchesScreen Shot 2016-12-15 at 4.21.57 PM.png.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SuzieCue,

As I (mis)understand it, the vertical lines within the two rectangles in the screenshot are just there  to illustrate the overlap.

If you position one of the rectangles partly on top of the other, the overlap will be the same width on both.

To overlap by .5", moving the right rectangle, you may (Smart Guides are your friends):

1) ClickDrag the right rectangle by one of the left corner Anchor Points (after having it deselected) until it snaps to the corresponding Anchor Point on the left rectangle (Smart Guides say anchor when you are within snapping distance);

2) In the Transform palette add -0.5" to the X value.

Reverse if you wish to move the left rectangle instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the vertical lines are there to show where the overlap should be.These two rectangles would be overlapped at that area (vertical lines) Thanks for replying so fast! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can precisely position your rectangles with the help of the Align panel.

Select both rectangles. Then click once on one of them, and it will become highlighted with a heavy outline.

In the Align panel, enter the distance you need, -0.5 inches (minus .5 inches), and click the Horizontal Distribute Space icon.

If you don't see the Distribute Spacing settings at the bottom of the panel, select Show Options from the Align panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Did this work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks anyway. It seems easy to you but I was not able to enter any numbers there and also I do not see anything highlighted on the Align panel which would indicated where I should be. Cant do the below statement. I do not know what the symbols mean.

In the Align panel, enter the distance you need, -0.5 inches (minus .5 inches), and click the Horizontal Distribute Space icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that you were not able to enter numbers. Let's give it another try.

1. Find the Align panel. As i mentioned, if you don't see the horizontal distribute area at the bottom of the Align panel, you'll need to choose Show Options from the flyout menu in the upper right of the Align panel (looks like little lines). Press on those little lines to see the panel commands, and choose Show Options.
  2. When the options are showing, the panel should look like this:
  3. Select both rectangles with the black Selection tool.
  4. With both rectangles still selected, click once on one of the rectangles.
  5. The rectangles should look similar to this -- both selected and the one you clicked on in step 6 should have a heavy outline.
  6. Do not deselect the rectangles. In the Align panel click on the Horizontal Distribute icon. That is the one at the bottom of the panel that looks like this:
  7. At the bottom of the Align panel, type the distance you want between the rectangles. In your case that would be -0.5 in (minus zero point 5 inches).
  8. Then click the Horizontal Align icon at the bottom of the Align panel.
  9. It looks like this:

Let me know if this works for you or if you have further questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SuzieCue schrieb:

I do not know what the symbols mean.

There's help to that.

How to move, align, and distribute objects in Illustrator

(scroll down to "Align and distribute objects")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, SuzieCue.

And you can also do it using the Align>Distribute Objects as Barbara said. If not aligned vertically, you will need to do that as well, which you can do with Align>Align Objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Suzie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines