• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to type Arabic on curves without breaking

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a type to fix on an outlined badge in Arabic, once I place the text over a curve it breaks.

Anyone have an idea how to do it?

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 3.19.56 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

I wish there is an auto method, but there isn't.

For your example above سلمون وردي you just need to fix connection in three points only since much of the characters are separate already. just fix connection here … سلمو

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

I think I found a way which is 95% accurate and simple.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 2.57.51 AM.png

Adding the outlined line to the brush set will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Hey Superely, you should make the text outlined at first and then you select it and make it "art brush" with "Scale Proportionately" box selected, and apply it on a circle as a stroke, that will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hratch,

Have you tried the Path Type Tool based upon a circle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried and it still breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typefaces where characters are designed to connect smoothly together will always break if written along a curve. Font definition files simply don't have the data to explain how to re-shape each glyph when it's not in the "correct" position. You have two options:

• Manually adjust the 'baseline shift' value of each character to bring them into alignment (for smaller text and shallow curves this is OK, but it will still leave a corner join if the angle between each character is large).
  • Create the text as a regular horizontal block, then use the Warp > Arc distortion. This will change the shape of the characters but will preserve the smooth connections between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Arabic if you adjust the baseline of each letter it will convert the character to an independent version.
Warp is not an option as it will change the shape as you said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then convert to outlines and fix everything manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there is a way as I've seen it once but I can't remember how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dave, Warp is a fast method and resulted text will not break, however it squishes the text. Best result is to Outline then adjust all points and curves manually.

From experience, some Arabic fonts can stand bending without showing problems. You need to test some other GE fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried many GE fonts and the issue is still there.

I can solve this small job manually.

But shouldn't this be doable in a way? other than fixing the curves manually?

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 3.26.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there is an auto method, but there isn't.

For your example above سلمون وردي you just need to fix connection in three points only since much of the characters are separate already. just fix connection here … سلمو

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sad to hear.

Yes, that's already solved manually.

Thanks Ziad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gather that this will be too late, and I know it's not perfect, but if you wanted to get the letters as well as the connectors to fit the curve, you might try Envelope Distort/Make with Mesh. It's still work, but it might be worth looking at.

Arabic on curves.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's never too late

but I think this is even more time consuming than just fixing few curves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, I'm interested in this method, I just couldn't replicate the steps, so I appreciate if you can elaborate further on this technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a way which is 95% accurate and simple.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 2.57.51 AM.png

Adding the outlined line to the brush set will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the text on a curve as a brush is some thing we did some 15 years back when Illustrator didn't support Arabic back then and didn't allow us to type on a path directly. Having said that top-right text does look very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which it seems the only automatic way to do it on Illustrator.

I'm satisfied with the 95% until Adobe find a way around the Arabic font curving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for sharing this! I'm having the same problem and this seems to be super useful 🙂 How did you use the text as a brush? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Superely, you should make the text outlined at first and then you select it and make it "art brush" with "Scale Proportionately" box selected, and apply it on a circle as a stroke, that will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ASlhab for your explanation, and very sorry for my late reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outline text and Creating a brush out of the outlined text will give you sensible results. Thanks, Hratch for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Astute Graphics Reform plugin for Illustrator has some interesting Text on Path features that allow type to follow curved source paths more closely. The effect does some slight warping to the letters, similar to what happens when turning lettering into an Art Brush. But the warping and distortion is a little more subtle.

https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/reform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

طاكسي كبير

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines