• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use combining tilde character with Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I want to use this character in a design: g̃. It's actually made of two code points: One for the g (U+0067) and one for the combining tilde (U+0303). All other apps (From MS, Google, and even free ones like Inkscape) I've tried support these “combining characters”, but I can't find how to make it work in any Adoble app. I've already tried with many fonts, and nothing works. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign have a setting to allow this character? It works literally everywhere else I've tried, so it almost feels like a bug. BTW, I didn’t make this character up. It's actually used by the Guaraní language, a language with millions of speakers that even has its very own Duolingo course for Spanish speakers. You can copy-paste it from here:

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Resodexo 

It's not listed in the Alt Codes for "G". If you don't have too many, then you can:

• Select the tilde and give it a baseline shift
  • Click an insertion point between the g and ~ and kern 

The amounts depend on the typesize. It may be available in specific typefaces that support Guaraní.

janee_0-1627784676127.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This does seem like a bug, tho. Every other software can display this character if you copy-paste it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @Resodexo . I could even copy and paste your  into the forum window and format it, but it failed when I pasted into Illustrator yesterday.

One thing I have seen over the years is that some software displays fonts that you do not have in your system, which gets you into trouble when you go to press. Adobe applications do not do that, as they are geared toward professionals who will be doing high-end printing (which is not to say they can't be used by all.) You have to have the font with the correct glyph.

If you can find a typeface that supports Guaraní, then it will most likely have the  glyph. Before the days of OpenType, I used to do the baseline shift and kerning a lot more than I do now!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines