• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I should do a big format today. But Illustrator don't let me do that??

Enthusiast ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to do a work which should be 95 cm x 10 meters. But that would Illustrator don't let me do ??

I made this: A new document for print, and wrote width: 1,000 cm height: 95 cm. But Illustrator does this format to only 577.95 x 95 cm ?? why? Do not I have the opportunity to do a job which is 95 cm x 10 meter ?? So I lose a customer !!

Could anybody help me??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

haneadino,

When you work in mm/cm/m, the easiest and safest scale to use is 1:10; you can just use mm instead of cm with the same values.

It is also quite simple to get the right resolution in raster images and raster effects (Effect>Document Raster Effects Settings), just multiply the needed final resolution by 10.

Make sure which final resolution is needed, talk to the printer; you may be surprised: it depends on the intended viewing distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haneadino  schrieb

So I lose a customer !!

Please be a little less dramatic and talk with your print vendor about working in scale.

You could perhaps do this in half the size or a tenth of the size. Not that if you place images you need to convert resolution as well.

Just pick up the phone and talk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is three pieces of vector graphic, and some text below.

And one of the vector graphic have to be placed in the middle of the 10 meters, and also the text have to be in the middle.

So what to do?

Is it not possible to work with big format in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. As you can saw, the maximum size for Illustrator documents is 577.95 cms, there are differents reason for this limit, one is the performance. Normally, the users don't create huge documents, instead they create smaller documents for example at 25% and then print to 400%.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marliton  wrote

Hi. As you can saw, the maximum size for Illustrator documents is 577.95 cms, there are differents reason for this limit, one is the performance. Normally, the users don't create huge documents, instead they create smaller documents for example at 25% and then print to 400%.

it's not performance, it's a factor of postscript. illustrator's pasteboard maximum is roughly 2^24 thousandths of a point -- 24-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is common practice to build large format projects at 25% or 50% scale. All you have to do is communicate with the printer. Let them know what size it should print at, and what scale factor you built it at. All it takes is a little math, but that's easy because you can put equations into any number field, and Illustrator will automatically calculate it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, and I've even done much larger print designs in scale about 1:10, which is perfectly fine. ANY print house should be able to ript PDF's in desired scale, and print it without any issues. I used to work in big large format print house, as DTP operator, and with cucess proceed to prepare file about 3500x1000cm to print. (Riped as 2 parts 3500x500cm on Caldera RIP software.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Yes, All it takes is a little math!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haneadino,

When you work in mm/cm/m, the easiest and safest scale to use is 1:10; you can just use mm instead of cm with the same values.

It is also quite simple to get the right resolution in raster images and raster effects (Effect>Document Raster Effects Settings), just multiply the needed final resolution by 10.

Make sure which final resolution is needed, talk to the printer; you may be surprised: it depends on the intended viewing distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, haneadino.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is also quite simple to get the right resolution in raster images and raster effects (Effect>Document Raster Effects Settings), just multiply the needed final resolution by 10."

Are you sure about that?  Image resolution is cut in half with every 200% enlargement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John,

As I read it, you are expressing the same fundamental relation, namely that the resolution changes by the reverse scaling factor, so if the size doubles the resolution is halved, and if the size is increased tenfold the resolution is decreased tenfold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines