Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Area Type text and the Transform panel

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I drew an area-type-text-box to a specific size of height and width. I put text in it that is controlled by a paragraph style.

Later, I was trying to use the Transform panel to resize the text box, and it did so, but ...

it distorts the text!

I am used to the behavior of  InDesign allowing me to adjust the textframe and the text within it always reflows, but doesn't distort.

What is the trick to resizing the text box to a specific dimensions in the Transform panel, yet leaving the text under the control of the paragraph style?

Mike in Maryland

Mike Witherell

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

You can transform the box without transforming the size of the type if you select only the box with the Direct Selection tool. Corner handles should be selected, but there shouldn't be any underlines on the text, like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from the type menu -> Area type options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but what about the Transform panel? Why does it distort the text?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is an object-based app and indesign is a frame-based app where you can transform The Frame and the content independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you can do point text easily here in illustrator when you do area text it changes with box change...thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can transform the box without transforming the size of the type if you select only the box with the Direct Selection tool. Corner handles should be selected, but there shouldn't be any underlines on the text, like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that is so NOT obvious! Thanks Barbara. I couldn't see a way around it. It turns out you have to carefully select only the path edge with the Direct Selection tool and make sure the text does not have baselines under it. Thanks for the insight!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right. It is absolutely not obvious. Glad this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines