Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2018 Cant export SVG

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do Adobe release unready software?

After updating my CC Aps I have lost hours of productivity due to CC 2018 not exporting SVG, it goes through the process but doesn't write the file. Looking at forums I have tried resetting my preferences. I was then able to export 1 svg - now it doesn't work again.

Were paying for premium with CC but why do adobe push out software before its fully tested -  I wouldn't mind actually waiting till 2018 for the 2018 version of the CC apps!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

UPDATE on 12-MAR-2018: We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Please refer to the workaround here. Unable to export Artboards as SVG – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gravnetic Please create a new post with the issue about the group. Describe your problem in detail there. Since this post is about something else chances are your issue will be lost in other non-related messages or other users who come to this post will not get the information they need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ashutosh, not my problem...make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still broken and the "workarounds" don't seem very reliable.

Any timeline on an update? My team uses illustrator to export linked svgs from other adobe apps. Hunting down and opening each from within their directory is a pretty big waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not fixed. I have Illustrator on 2 systems, and exporting SVG's (via Export As, Export for Screens and Save As) is incredibly hit and miss. One of the machines had never had Illustrator on it until about a week ago, when the newest version was downloaded and installed fresh from CC (the newest version is months beyond when the fix was supposedly in place). Since it had never had Illustrator on it, and has only had the supposedly fixed version, there should be no need to do any workarounds, resetting preferences and settings etc. The other machine had been running Illustrator CC 2017 and the majority of the time wouldn't create anything when attempting to export SVG (not even a _T_ file). I just updated that one to the newest version, and it too is hit and miss. The majority of the time it does not export the full SVG--it creates a _T_ file and that's it--it never does anything with that file and no SVG is ever created.

This is rage-inducing. I've recently purchased a laser cutter/engraver and the only vector format it accepts is SVG. Because my "professional" software that I pay hundreds of dollars a year for can't handle a simple export, I'm going to have to download and learn FREE vector software instead (Inkscape). I guess that means you guys don't need my money any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

This is not fixed. I have Illustrator on 2 systems, and exporting SVG's (via Export As, Export for Screens and Save As) is incredibly hit and miss. One of the machines had never had Illustrator on it until about a week ago, when the newest version was downloaded and installed fresh from CC (the newest version is months beyond when the fix was supposedly in place). Since it had never had Illustrator on it, and has only had the supposedly fixed version, there should be no need to do any workarounds, resetting preferences and settings etc. The other machine had been running Illustrator CC 2017 and the majority of the time wouldn't create anything when attempting to export SVG (not even a _T_ file). I just updated that one to the newest version, and it too is hit and miss. The majority of the time it does not export the full SVG--it creates a _T_ file and that's it--it never does anything with that file and no SVG is ever created.

This is rage-inducing. I've recently purchased a laser cutter/engraver and the only vector format it accepts is SVG. Because my "professional" software that I pay hundreds of dollars a year for can't handle a simple export, I'm going to have to download and learn FREE vector software instead (Inkscape). I guess that means you guys don't need my money any longer.

Does it work with other file types?

Does it work when you export to a different location?

To which location do you save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Quit illustrator

2. Delete all old (pre 2018) illustrator files and folders from library > Preferences

3. Delete all old illustrator files and folders from library > Application support > Adobe

4. Launch illustrator 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the folders in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator\ and restarting Illustrator also worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset prefs 3 times now meaning I have to setup my workspace and all my work procedures. Adobe, stop jacking around and fix this immediately. You should be ashamed. The size of your org should never allow this to happen. Fix NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And by the way this question is NOT answered. False support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came across this issue...what a pain.

Using Save As Copy works for now but my original Workflow was fine.

Cmon man...fix it

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for PLEASE FIX.

Workaround does not work. Resting prefs is a pain, and only works for a short bit, if at all.

Using AI 2017 in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a more permanent fix, go into "Export for Screens" and click the gear icon next to "Formats" ... in there, select SVG, change any option (I changed fonts to outline) and click "Save Settings" ... now, it should work as expected! You can even go back in and put the setting back to where it was and it still works (at least it is for me)...

must be an issue with importing the previous CC preferences into CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that exporting svgs via Export For Screens only works if the AI file is actually saved. I tried exporting from an unsaved (new) file, that didn't work. After saving the AI file, exporting svgs worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cleared my preference to be sure that v22.1 was loading prefs properly. I set up my Asset Export files again,  I used Export to Screens. and... no dice.

Error: "Unable to export the following files":

Most were not exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. MacOS. Fresh install of Illustrator. Deleted preferences of Illustrator. Restarted. Nothing happens when I export SVG. PNGs and JPEGs are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it has been solved after updating to the latest version.
But for the record. This software package is way to expensive to have bugs like this. In my company we spend thousands of dollars a year on subscriptions. You just made me waste the better part of an hour trying to export a logo to a svg file. That costs me as much as a subscription for 1 month, so basicly I paid double this month figuring out why the software I pay for isn't doing what it's supose to do.
At the end of this year we will be cutting down our subscriptions by 50% for our development team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version installed, have deleted any and all preference files and there is still no option to show code when exporting an svg.  What is Adobe doing?

Is there any reliable way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steve.sjbc  schrieb

I have the latest version installed, have deleted any and all preference files and there is still no option to show code when exporting an svg.  What is Adobe doing?

Is there any reliable way to do this?

It's only possible when using "Save as". First select a file location and name, then go on to the second dialog box and there's your "Show Code" button. But this way creates older code unfortunately.

You might want to post a feature request in http://illustrator.uservoice.com

It might get slightly difficult to implement, because what would you like to happen with "Show Code" when exporting 60 artboards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the advice, but this should not be a feature request. It is an option which is greyed out, so it should work - sometimes at least-, but simply does not.  If the option is not available hide/remove it from the pop-up options. As far as I'm concerned this is a bug, which should have been fixed a really long time ago.

Why does Adobe (and practically every other big company), release updates that break more than they fix?? With the resources and money they have available, the least they could do, is have software that does what it's supposed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steve.sjbc  schrieb

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the advice, but this should not be a feature request. It is an option which is greyed out, so it should work - sometimes at least-, but simply does not.  If the option is not available hide/remove it from the pop-up options. As far as I'm concerned this is a bug, which should have been fixed a really long time ago.

Why does Adobe (and practically every other big company), release updates that break more than they fix?? With the resources and money they have available, the least they could do, is have software that does what it's supposed to.

So is your question about the inability to export at all ?

If not, please post a new thread. This one is messed up already.

And then please tell us exact system and version as well as steps on how to reproduce the bug.

Also: bug report is on http://illustrator.uservoice.com and not in this forum. Uservoice reaches the engineers, this forum is 95% of people not even staff.

Only people marked "Staff" are staff. Everyone else is just a normal user as yourself. We don't know why something is not working. We try to help you find out if you can get it to work somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just stopped working in the middle of important project. You develop this program for 10+ years and are still not able to provide stable version. I just hate you, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nufeen  schrieb

It just stopped working in the middle of important project. You develop this program for 10+ years and are still not able to provide stable version. I just hate you, Adobe.

If you want help from the forum, please post system info and your Illustrator version.

Also: what exactly is in the file, where exactly do you save it with which options.

Please create a new thread for that.

If you want to talk to the engineers: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

To get to Customer Support in order to have them look into your system: Contact Customer Care

Might not happen until after the holidays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines