• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New subscriber. All of a sudden today Illustrator crashes while I'l working in it. Using drawing tools, selecting, moving just all of a sudden "unexpectedlly quits"

Please advise I got a brand new iMac and subsribed the other day hopeing to finally avoid crashes. My files are large color intensive but still shouldn't be a problem what I'm doing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue with Illustrator started after I installed the updates to the Adobe CC last week.  Now when I try to create and/or open an AI document, the error message states "Adobe Illustrator has stopped working" and then it shuts down.  I have updated Windows, my GPU driver (NVIDIA GeForce) and have even uninstalled/reinstalled Illustrator with no change in the problem.  Any ideas as to what is going on or how to resolve this?  I am using a new Lenovo 80FG laptop, running Windows 10, using a GeForce 840M graphics card with the latest driver version 359.06 (updated today).  Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates on this? I can't open Illustrator CC. Evertime I open and do a new document, then simply click on the tool bar I get the "not responding".

I reinstalled and restarted. Can use Illustrator at all.

I am always having issues with all of the Adobe products on Windows 10 from Premier to Illustrator. Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having issues since updating yesterday to 19.2.0. Is there any way to roll back to the last version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with Adobe Illustrator CC (Ver 19.2.0) crashing every time I copied something and moved around the screen.

@Impermatom seems to have found the correct solution for me. I was using a similar type of app called ClipMenu which saves multiple copy or objects to multiple clipboards and stores them there for later use. What ever it was grabbing from Illustrator wasn't compatible and I suppose it was crashing Adobe. I uninstalled the little app with CLEANAPP (uninstaller program) and restated my system. Adobe Illustrator seems to be working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having issues with illustrator and windows 10. I assumed it was an update with windows 10 and while I uninstalled that and reinstalled windows 7 I am still getting errors and it shutting down. I assume now that it has to do with illustrator. Please fix this issue or tell us how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having issues with Illustrator since 1/22/16, when I received notification that updates were available for both Photoshop and Illustrator. I updated. Opened Photoshop. It's all good. Opened Illustrator. It crashed in 10 minutes. Could only move my cursor around the screen; I was unable to interact with anything, objects or menu items. Tried again. Illustrator stayed open about 10 minutes before I couldn't do anything but move the cursor. Seems to happen when I try to move an object or click on a menu item. My comp drivers etc. are up to date. Running Windows 8 on Lenovo Y70 Touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same exact issue! I can't get any work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete your AI preferences and cache in the library and restart your computer. Good luck!

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. This is driving me absolutely crazy, it's been crashing ENDLESSLY all day today it's losing me a lot of work time (which is money lost) and causing a huge amount of unnecessary stress.

I've restarted my computer so many times just to get the software to open again and then it crashes randomly when open. Absolute joke.

FIX THIS NOW ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I tried and it worked:

I went to without a file open, I went into Illustrator’s Edit>Preferences>GPU Performance. In GPU Performance, I noticed that the checkboxes for GPU Performance and it’s subcategories Animated Zoom and Enhance Thin Lines weren’t checked, so I checked them.

I am not sure about the necessity of “Enhance Thin Lines,” but I don’t want to experiment with turning it off right now that I have Illustrator working (I will experiment with that later).

One of the Adobe people: Jmaster808 at forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>, gave the below advice:

“Delete your AI preferences and cache in the library and restart your computer. Good luck!”

I hope this helps!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a LIFESAVER. So far your solution has worked perfectly for me. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! I'm glad!

Sent using CloudMagic Email<https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=8.0.91&pv=5.1.1&source=email_footer_2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know you, but I am about to crown you "Smartest MoFo on the Internet." Thank you. This is the only thing that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well after a windows 10 update. It seems this is the fix if your rig has a discrete GPU. On the latest Ai CC you can just click the rocket ship on the home bar at the top of the screen to enable GPU performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's early days Karen but I think your solution has worked! I couldn't work in AI for more that 5 min without it freezing. Could only close using task manager and even then it said it was waiting for a response from me. Have had AI open for a whole 15 min with no crashing or freezing!!! Yay!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you KarenCity I only had the issue for a day (a very annoying day) after installing Windows 10 and Illy CC. The GPU performance checkbox fixed the issue for me. I'm also running a Nvidia card.

Windows 10, Intel Xeon 3.5 ghz 16 gb ram , Nvidia Quadro K4200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having problems with this latest version of Illustrator cc 19.2.0. My driver is up to date and I am on System 7 with 8 Gig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as everyone here. Tried all of above!

I was placing a high res EPS. So resaved image as jpg to see if that was having anything to do with it. It seems OK now.

Not ideal and I will have to get to bottom of issue but might help someone here.

I have only been running CC 19.2.1 for 1 week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my comment here for the headcount. Same issue... just making some pen tool shapes in a basic illustration, no heavy lifting. 4 crashes so far today. Doesn't seem to be related to what i'm interacting wtih - first crash was in the middle of renaming layer, second and third was selecting an object, 4th was using copy/paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Did you also try Edit>Preferences>GPU Performance> then checking the “GPU Performance,” “Animated Zoom,” and “Enhance Thin Lines” boxes?

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did! It's only been a few minutes so its hard to say just yet if it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me about a week ago. Now it takes illustrator 5 minutes to open stuck on Initializing. Than after I use it for about 10 minutes it lags so bad I can't use it. Just not responding until I have to force quit.

Windows 10

6-Core AMD

32gig Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am just an end-user who go lucky, and also my office computer is on Windows 8, so that may be the difference between our situations. However I do have Windows 10 at home, so if you come across a solution, let us know. Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to see the problem is still existing, just started happening to me and is getting frustrating. I am running Windows 10 with a new NVida card. SO far, KarenCityofSacramento, your solution SEEMS to be working. I'll let you all know if it comes back. Still, Adobe, you should be updating our software since this is an issue that's been going on for a long time...just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trashing the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 19 did the trick for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines