• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS3 13.0.2 update failed to install

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Received an automatic update. When I clicked to install, the update returned this message:

Installation Incomplete
Adobe Illustrator CS3 13.0.2 update failed to install
The update cannot be applied to the product.

Say what?
I'm at Illustrator CS3 13.0.1. First time an CS3 update dug in its heels and sneered back at me.

Anybody got a clue about this? Bad update?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 114 Replies 114
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2008 Jan 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new here in the forum....... unfortunately not new with the problematic updates of Illustrator CS3..........does the Adobe guys at least read the forums? is that possible that they haven't yet heard about this issue?

It's a shame that till now it's not solved yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any one know if you can delete the files created in the:<br />Windows: C:\Documents and Setting\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\PatcherLogs\*.log<br /><br />as I have several 60+ meg in size due the the number of failures to install??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've thought about this for the same reasons.

I don't see how you need a text log after analysis has been done. That's not complete in your case, or could be you like me believe in prudence.

The way then is probably to rename the log file, but so it is still recognizeable. Then zip it - being text, it will compress a lot and become much smaller. If you want it out of the way entirely you can move the zip to another disk.

Either way, you have it still for the possibly important reason to give it to Adobe at some time they were involved.

Later installers (or install tries) should just create a new log, giving it the right name, and a fresh set of occurances.

If somehow there is anything the matter with this idea, though I can't see it here, you could just put back the original log, by unzipping what you saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2008 Jan 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no further forward:

1. Used the DVD to REPAIR the CS3 installation several times.

2. REMOVED the CS3 (Illustrator) product completely and installed it a several times.

Patch 13.0.1 appears to install, but Illustrator ' About' still says it's 13.0.0. Patch 13.0.2 fails with the "failed to installed".

PatcherLogs file for 13.0.2 fails with :

===Begin: Manifest XML parsing and file handling=======

Loading CAPS library.

Querying installLanguage from CAPS.

Successfully loaded the function "capsGetPayloadData" from CAPS library.

Install language of the product as set by patcher: en_GB

Patching file: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3\Plug-ins\Extensions\Control Panel.aip

Patcher successfully located the file to be patched at: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3\Plug-ins\Extensions\Control Panel.aip

Checksum before of the file as specified in Manifest XML file: e43331ec4da45add226b13645bae8d74

Checksum of the file as computed from the target location: 45CE75C25063694D5ED3CB59D3A8E68A
checksum failed.

Checksum before of the file as specified in Manifest XML file: 7c06baf7a714a1c922067629af0f5016

Checksum of the file as computed from the target location: 45CE75C25063694D5ED3CB59D3A8E68A
checksum failed.

ERROR Patcher was unable to verify the checksum before and checksum after of the file to be patched. Patch will fail.
File operation failed.
Patch Suspended...
Patching fails, Rolling back the changes done by the patcher...
Patch resumed...

ERROR Set status to rollback
Exiting patch thread, creating rollback thread...

=======Begin: Manifest XML Processing==============
Install language of the product as set by patcher:

No Files are being found to operate.

Another interesting thing I have discovered is:

The Adobe Illustrator CS3 Link file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3 has a target C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3\Support Files\Contents\Windows where there is an Illustrator.exe file which has a version tab which gives a version of 13.0.128.0 ????

Even opening by double clicking on this file only shows version 13.0.0 in the 'about Illustrator' ???

Have had a quick look at the other Premium Suite programs and they don't seem to use this option of a link.

Is this something to do with the problem???

Windows XP Pro SP2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows Vista users, check this link:

http://www.brianpeek.com/blog/archive/2007/11/29/weird-vista-registry-issue.aspx

I found I had that situation, which is a Microsoft problem, not adobe. Anyway,

1) I applied the solution there (better have a backup because you can easily toast your entire registry). Fortunately, that completed successfully - well, out of 150,000+ entries there was 1 entry failure but did not apply to the Illustrator update problem. (Oh, I had been getting the "registry not in the expected state" or whatever whenever I would start AI 13.0, tho' AI would still run).

So the registry fix above handled the registry situation. But the 13.0.1 and 13.0.2 updates still would not install. 13.0.1 started telling me that the updated had already been applied but Help>About said differently, i.e. still 13.0, and 13.0.02 update would not update.

2) So I then uninstalled AI only.

3) Then renamed the "Installers" and "Updater5" folders *only* in the c:\program files\common files\adobe folder. Didn't deleted them, just renamed them (e.g. the installer folder I renamed to "_installer" with an underscore in front of the name - same for "Updater5").

4) Then I ran the installer from the dvd, installing only AI 13.0.

5) After that completed I ran the 13.0.1 that I had manually downloaded onto the desktop. It installed without a hitch.

6) Likewise for 13.0.2.

I did *not* bother rebooting before, during, or after, *all* of the above.

The procedure also fixed a failed update to the Flash-Lite Device Central update that had just failed. All other updates to the CS3 products had never given a problem, just the AI and then, recently, the Device Central thing.

Hope this may be of some help to anyone running Vista who hasn't been able to update AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
THIS WORKED FOR ME ON WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL BEAUTIFULLLY!     ALTHOUGH I HAD NOT REGISTRY PROBLEMS, i WENT TO STEP #2 AND IT WORKED GREAT.  RENAMED THE FILES AS INDICATED, REINSTALLED ILLUSTRATOR CS3, AND APPLIED THE TWO UPDATES MANUALLY SUCCESSFULLY.   BEST PART, I DID NOT HAVE TO EXIT AND RESTART AND ANY TIME JUST LIKE HE STATED, FROM THE UNINSTALL TO RE-INSTALL, NO RESTART!
For Windows Vista users, check this link:

http://www.brianpeek.com/blog/archive/2007/11/29/weird-vista-registry- issue.aspx

I found I had that situation, which is a Microsoft problem, not adobe. Anyway,

1) I applied the solution there (better have a backup because you can easily toast your entire registry). Fortunately, that completed successfully - well, out of 150,000+ entries there was 1 entry failure but did not apply to the Illustrator update problem. (Oh, I had been getting the "registry not in the expected state" or whatever whenever I would start AI 13.0, tho' AI would still run).

So the registry fix above handled the registry situation. But the 13.0.1 and 13.0.2 updates still would not install. 13.0.1 started telling me that the updated had already been applied but Help>About said differently, i.e. still 13.0, and 13.0.02 update would not update.

2) So I then uninstalled AI only.

3) Then renamed the "Installers" and "Updater5" folders *only* in the c:\program files\common files\adobe folder. Didn't deleted them, just renamed them (e.g. the installer folder I renamed to "_installer" with an underscore in front of the name - same for "Updater5").

4) Then I ran the installer from the dvd, installing only AI 13.0.

5) After that completed I ran the 13.0.1 that I had manually downloaded onto the desktop. It installed without a hitch.

6) Likewise for 13.0.2.

I did *not* bother rebooting before, during, or after, *all* of the above.

The procedure also fixed a failed update to the Flash-Lite Device Central update that had just failed. All other updates to the CS3 products had never given a problem, just the AI and then, recently, the Device Central thing.

Hope this may be of some help to anyone running Vista who hasn't been able to update AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronald, it occurs to me: after you de-installed Illustrator, did you go in and remove its folder from Program Files\Adobe?

If the deinstaller is leaving things around, this will get rid of the part at least where you are getting this log message.

Then install, of course, and see again if you can update.

I am running CS3 Design Premium, which is a fair number of Adobe parts, and today got an Updater alert for a new version of the scripting tools, which is where I had update problems before. In my case due to bollixed registry permissions.

I held my breath, pushed the button, and after the 30.1 MB download, another button push to get it going (had chosen manual options), and watching the updater screen, all went into place with no problems at all.

It can work. And so does the new Script toolset.

Best fortune,
Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clive

Will give your recommendation a go in a day or two when I have time.

I too downloaded and installed new scripting tools without any problems.

I have just sorted of the registry problem and got Device Central to install.

Illustrator caused me a lot of problems when I installed the CS3 Premium Design Extended Suite with Registry Entries write protected by Adobe.

Using a Documents Shredder I found 40,000 approx. system file entries that Adobe had not removed after an un-install & re-install of CS3 Suite. And defragged and removed 57,000 approx. fragmentations.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2008 Jan 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I did not have the registry issues you outlined, but I tried renaming the "Installers" and "Updater5" folders per your post, then uninstalled Illustrator, re-installed Illustrator, then applied the patches that I had manually downloaded to my desktop. Shazzam! It worked - both the 13.0.1 and 13.0.2 patches FINALLY installed correctly. Really appreciate your sharing the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, me too. I get the message "Updater did not Worked". Now, really. What frigging moron wrote that? Sigh. But that's beside the point.

I have read through this entire thread. I have tried the techniques, or at least those relevant to my Win-doze X-Pee platform. They don't work and I have now used up many hours of time trying to solve this. In fact, I have not been able to download an update for quite awhile now.

ADOBE! ARE YOU LISTENING? WE NEED TO GET BACK TO WORK! PLEASE, PLEASE, FIX THIS IN A WAY THAT MAKES IT EASY FOR US! YOU KNOW, YOUR USERS THAT PAID $1800 FOR YOUR SOFTWARE!

To my fellow users, does anyone have an ironclad way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2008 Jan 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Adobe CEO if you have already spent time with Support trying to resolve this problem. Tell them your experience. Letters and faxes have the most impact. I was not able to find (for free) an executive contact email address.

President and CEO Shantanu Narayen
345 Park Ave.
San Jose, CA 95110-2704 - United States
Phone: 408-536-6000
Fax: 408-537-6000
Toll Free: 800-833-6687

and/or (same contact info)
Co-Chairman Charles M. (Chuck) Geschke
Co-Chairman John E. Warnock

Ref: http://www.hoovers.com/free/co/people.xhtml?ID=12518

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2008 Jan 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me renaming the directories and I ended up with loads of errors when I tried reinstalling.

After trying to sort this out I used restore and ended up in deeper problems and have lost Illustrator all together.

And too crown it all I cannot uninstall or reinstall as the setup program will not load. Fortunately the other programmes seem to be working OK.

Will have to do a search and see if there is any solutions for this problem.

As Queen Victoria once said 'I am not amused'.

Come on Adobe how about giving us robust installers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vista Fix 13.02 update - worked for me

NOTE: After encountering the update problem from within illustrator update, I downloaded the standalone update and it too failed. I then did the following and the update succeeded.

1) download the standalone 13.02 update from adobe and remember what folder you downloaded it to.
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=27&platform=Windows

2) locate the illustrator application file on your computer - default is (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe)

3) Right click on the file
choose properties
click on compatability tab
place a check in the box labeled "run this program in compatability mode for"
be sure windows xp (service pack2) is in the box

4) down at the bottom make sure the "run this program as administrator" box is checked.(If this box is greyed out and cannot be checked/unchecked you probably do not have administrator rights with your account on the computer. try the rest of the fix below even if you can't check the box.

5)click OK

6) close all your web browsers internet explorer, firefox etc

7) Now make double sure ALL your web browsers are closed.(hit ctl-alt-del and then click on "start task manager". Click on the applications tab. be sure there are no instances of internet explorer or firefox running. if there are, highlight the item and click "end task" to stop them. Next - Click on the processes tab. make sure there are no instances of firefox.exe or iexplore.exe running. if so, highlight them and click on "Stop Process" When finished, close the task manager and navigate to the location where you downloaded the update.

8)Make sure that Illustrator and all other cs3 applications are closed(not running)

9) run the update(fingers crossed)

10) if successful, re-run step 3 above and uncheck the run in xp compatability mode box. Be sure to leave the run as administrator box checked at the bottom. Not a bad idea to check all the other cs3 application executables to be sure you are running them as administrator also.

11)reply in here if it worked for you or if you have other questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try this way, work well in my case:
1. Open : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium\AMT
2. rename file "application.sif"
3. download update from www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=27&platform=Windows
4. run the update
Source: http://joemaller.com/2007/06/27/illustrator-cs3-1301-and-applicationsif/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't do a thing for me. Actually, I can't even get 1 to install let alone 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel McFall: I tried your fix, but it didn't quite work. In fact, the updates .0.1 and .0.2 have installed seemingly without a glitch, but when I try to start the application, when it's loading all the plugins I get a message "error loading plugins. Control panel.aip" When I click ok the program closes and won't start at all. I've tried renaming the folders within my user folder, deleting folders, deleting the actual plugin in question, reinstalling, and all sorts of fixes. Nothing has worked yet. Do you have any other suggestions, please??

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2008 Feb 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, still no real resolution on this? I've tried most of the suggestions (XP here) - no luck. I get the "did not worked" on .0.1 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's kind of sad. They take $1500 for suite and couldn't care less about supporting it. Haven't seen anyone at all from Adobe addressing any of this. Not even a "we are aware of the problem" kind of post. They just have this one in ignore. :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same update problem on a Mac Pro desktop.

I do not have time to try this and that reinstall etc so have
been waiting for some sort of fix from Adobe and checking out
other software like Aperture and BiblePro again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2008 Feb 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have wasted precious many hours on this problem and still I'm stuck without a solution in sight.

Adobe's lack of a timely response let alone a fix for this endless loop is a disgrace and utterly unacceptable (this thread was started on September 7, 2007, almost 6 months ago!).

Can Adobe get away with this? They have collected our money, but the software does not work as advertised. Despite browsing their support site, the Internet and many forums such as this, I have not found a helpful response from Adobe.

I perceive this as a breach of contract. How can Adobe be serious about piracy, if they themselves behave like pirates?

No goodwill left towards Adobe from this frustrated user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2008 Feb 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the updates to install using bboyer's (post #54) suggestion with a few differences. Here's what worked for me on Vista.

Go to C:\program files\common files\adobe. Rename the "Installers" and "Updater5" folders (e.g., "_Installers" and "_Updater5").

Run the stand alone 13.0.1 updater.

I then tried to run the 13.0.2 updater but it failed.

I then changed the "_Installers" and "_Updater5" back to their orginal names, "Installers" and "Updater5".

Ran the 13.0.2 updater and it installed successfully.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2008 Mar 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Waywrd.

It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, after reading this forum, this is what I did (Mac OS10.5).
I had previously installed Adobe Web Premium Mac. As already discussed, when the updater ran, Illustrator did not update but gave an error message. I have tried to ignore it but felt that there were issues that required the update. By accident, I discussed this with a colleague who had installed the same package but had NEVER OPENED Illustrator CS3 13.0.0. However, when I asked him to open it, the version number was 13.0.2! Obviously, by running Photoshop, the updater was triggered and it had updated Illustrator as well. I was surprised but took this as a clue. I uninstalled my copy of Illustrator using the application on my DVD. Then, I reinstalled Illustrator. I then opened Photoshop CS3 and ran the updater. It did run and updated many of the Adobe applications including Illustrator.
This time, I DID NOT RUN Illustrator, but continued to run the Updater from Photoshop. It took many tries but eventually everything seemed to be updated. I single clicked on the Illustrator icon, it still gave version number 13.0.0. I then opened Illustrator. On the opening window, no version number was provided. When I tried to open a file, the application crashed. After a few attempts, I checked the Adobe site and found something called FixCUIFramework which is apparently a needed fix for this crashing problem. Finally, after running that, the Illustrator I have is now version 13.0.2 and is running without crashing. TOUCH WOOD!

I hope this helps. This has taken a ton of time and effort to sort out! Software should not be this hard to install and maintain!

Eric C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>...this is what I did (Mac OS10.5).

This post would be better appreciated over at the Illustrator Mac forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a hard enough time finding THIS topic here. Where is the Illustrator Mac forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines