• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS4 crash with Mac OS X.10 Yosemite

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, after installing Mac OS X.10 Yosemite, my Illustrator CS4 doesn't open and block with this message below. I run the latest version of Java. Anyone has an idea or a solution to fix this bug ? ?   Capture d’écran 2014-10-17 à 21.54.28.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

After installing Yosemite I had the same issue trying to open Illustrator. These were my first steps:

After installing the JavaForOSX2012-001, uninstalling and reinstalling my CS4 I finally found this thread (above) which worked!

This option worked for me (thanks brattwurtz):

1     Force restart on mac

2     Start Photoshop CS4

3     Start AI CS4

4     When you get the alert popup, with Photoshop now open, it allows me to click on "don't show again", and click "OK"

Hurry up Adobe and give us a real fix

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's reassuring. I'm going to go ahead and try it on an external drive with Yosemite and CS4 installed. I'll report back soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct that the only file that needs to be backed up is Adobe Illustrator.app>Contents>Info.plist?

And to revert to the original version:

1) Replace Info.plist in Adobe Illustrator.app>Contents with the back up copy

2) Remove libmap_fd_dylib from Adobe Illustrator.app>Contents>Frameworks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful!

Here's what I did:

1) Installed OS 10.11 Beta on a partition of an external drive (I decided to try El Capitan Beta instead of Yosemite, since by the time I buy new hardware El Capitan will be released).

2) Booted into OS 10.11 and installed CS4 Photoshop, Illustrator, and all support files and recommended applications.

3) Installed Java for OS X 2015-001(if you start Illustrator without this, you will get a prompt and link to the file on apple.com)

4) Ran Yosemite AICS4 Fix.mpkg

5) Apple>System Preferences>Accessibility>Display>ReduceTransparency (fixes the font menus, so that you can see the font names and previews)

6) Opened Illustrator and Photoshop with no problem.

7) Created eight test files in Photoshop (all possible combinations of CMYK and RGB, layered and flat, TIFF and PSD), imported them into an Illustrator file, and saved. They all worked.

This needs more publicity. I will post my results elsewhere, along with your comments above, if that is alright with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

It's alright, but I want to ask you to cite the work of Benjamin too.

As with the revert operation, yes, you are right, but after restoring the original Info.plist file you should refresh the Launch Services Database cache (it stores a cache of the Info.plist files) with this command and restart Finder:

$ /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

$ killall Finder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I too have encountered the issues of having Illustrator CS4 installed and working fine on Mavericks before Yosemite went and broke it (Placing .psd files in Illustrator CS4 now greyed out).

Have been waiting for a fix like this to be available as had no idea what was causing the issue, so was really excited when I saw it!

Problem is, when I run the Yosemite AICS4 Fix.mpkg on my Mac, on the 'Select a Destination' screen of the installer, I'm told that "Yosemite AICS4 Fix can't be installed on this disk. There's no Adobe Illustrator CS4 on the selected volume." And yet I know that Illustrator CS4 is installed to the selected volume running OS X.

Can anyone tell me why I might be seeing this error message and how I might go about resolving it?

Unfortunately I don't have the original CS4 discs, so cannot reinstall it if necessary.

Many thanks for any assistance given!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a license for CS4? If so, can't you download and reinstall? If not, well ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late for a reply but I had the same problem as sonofjack2 (AICS4 Fix can't be installed on this disk. There's no Adobe Illustrator CS4 on the selected volume). It turned out that I had put Illustrator in a sub-folder within Applications, and the installer only looks (apparently) for /Applications/Adobe Illunstrator CS4

So when I move the application folder to the /Applications Directory, installation of the new Info.plist file and Frameworks/libmap_fd.dylib file occurred just fine. I had to copy the application back to the original directory, or the licensing was messed up (actually I just moved the two new files). It now launches (under Yosemite) without the error.

Thanks to ralvarezt for creating the fix and joesixpack for pointing out how to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread but I can confirm that the Yosemite AICS4 Fix still works with newer versions of Mac OS (so not only Yosemite)

This is what I did to get CS4 working on Sierra:

Did a clean install of Sierra (wipe the disk first)

Install CS 4 from a diskimage, do not click "easy install" but only check the components you need.

I checked AI, PS and Acrobat. I unchecked Adobe Air and Adobe Media reader.

Then I ran the "old Java" thing as provided by Apple.

Then ran the Yosemite AISC4 Fix.

Now it works and I can import/place PSD files into Illustrator.

Thanks ralvarezt !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I just did all the steps mentioned above and after the Yosemite AICS4 Fix file, I did get it to open Photoshop psd files.

But now when I select FILE- Save as, Save a Copy, Place, and Export, it CRASHES on me.

All the other options in the File menu are working fine, including Save for web.

Any help on what can be causing this problem, thanks.

I installed the Java 6 before and after the Yosemite AICS4 Fix.

Mac OSX 10.10.5 and Illustrator CS4 14.0.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gapos1989  schrieb

Hi I just did all the steps mentioned above and after the Yosemite AICS4 Fix file, I did get it to open Photoshop psd files.

But now when I select FILE- Save as, Save a Copy, Place, and Export, it CRASHES on me.

All the other options in the File menu are working fine, including Save for web.

Any help on what can be causing this problem, thanks.

I installed the Java 6 before and after the Yosemite AICS4 Fix.

Mac OSX 10.10.5 and Illustrator CS4 14.0.0.

Downgrade your system or update Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Helpful at all, dont you think I would if I Could. There are reasons people post on these boards when they have hit a snag.  The newest Illustrator wont run on 10.10, if I upgraded to 11, all my other apps would stop working, so this is where I am staying at.  There has to be a fix to this crashing somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gapos1989  schrieb

Not Helpful at all, dont you think I would if I Could. There are reasons people post on these boards when they have hit a snag.  The newest Illustrator wont run on 10.10, if I upgraded to 11, all my other apps would stop working, so this is where I am staying at.  There has to be a fix to this crashing somewhere.

Illustrator CS4 is not fully compatible and will never be. It's end of life. For some people it works, and for some it doesn't. If you insist in getting it working, you will need to find an IT expert who will need to have a look at your system (and it's not guaranteed that this expert can get it to run). Since CS4 is end of life, you won't find such a person at Adobe Customer Care - they don't support that version anymore.

When you subscribe to CC, you can install older versions as well, you won't need to run the latest one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My impression from my own experience and from reading the boards is that your best chance of success is to do a clean install of CS4 after delicensing and erasing all traces of the previous installation.

Delicensing can be troublesome. I was unable to delicense (couldn't connect to the Adobe servers), but I somehow managed to talk to Adobe on the phone (don't remember how of course) and the rep supposedly added an additional machine to my license, so that I could erase an installation without delicensing.

Even with a new install getting CS4 running smoothly on unsupported systems requires several tweaks. I've listed the ones I know about in posts #12 and #13 here:

Re: CS4 with Mac High Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also post #22 in the same thread for info on getting and installing update and extras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had this problem after clean re-install of CS4 on macbook pro OS 10.13.2.

The 'Yosemite FIX' worked to stop the plugin problem.

But I still have a problem that whenever I try to change directory/folder away from the default 'Documents' folder when using 'Open'  or 'Save as', Illustrator crashes completely.

In other words CS4 is unusable.  ANy suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shughes  schrieb

But I still have a problem that whenever I try to change directory/folder away from the default 'Documents' folder when using 'Open'  or 'Save as', Illustrator crashes completely.

In other words CS4 is unusable.  ANy suggestions?

Keep an old system and you can use it until your computer falls apart.

If you insist in having High Sierra, then just don't save outside the documents folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm about three years late for this forum, but after wading through the BS of 'downgrade your OS', and a bunch of "nope, it's impossible", I trip onto your AICS4 Fix, ralvarezt​-- It's nice that a design/artist knows enough about coding to build a stub/module to save our community a crapload of money.  Thanks for addressing the problem at its source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! The Yosemite AICS4 Fix.pkg actually works. Can't believe it!

So, doing some research does pay out

Great info. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm also getting the same error but after I installed SIERRA on my mac, does anyone know how to fix the error?

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrade the system or upgrade Illustrator to version CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines