Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator ... cutting raster images. help

Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you need to cut the raster image into pieces in the illustrator. How to do it with illustrator tools. An example of cutting attached. thankexample.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

case 1:

if you want to cut them without moving each one separately:

Draw 3 rectagles on the top of the image, then make them as a compund path,  ( select them without the image) by pressing right click -> make compound path or

object -> compound path -> make

then select the compund path and the image together ,  right click -> make clipping mask ( ctrl + 7 )

case 2: to move each one separately:

you need 3 copies of rectangle and 3 copies of the image

Put each rectangle on the top of the image, select them both and make clipping mask ( ctrl + 7 )

repeat the same steps on the second and the third rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend bypassing Illustrator and using Photoshop instead.  You will most probably need to add bleed between the joins for a little overlap when the tiled image is applied to whatever.  I sense this is a grand format wall mural to be printed  and cut.  I have seen an inch bleed.  The Illustrator file can house each tiled image along with trim marks.  That file can then be converted to PDF or RIP and printed as is.  Do yourself a favor and work with whoever is printing the job.  Ask them why they want the image sliced and diced in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can cut them manually using "Crop Image" button. Select your image, press Crop Image button and move the proxies to your desired size.

I wrote a script for a client that needed a similar thing for Print on Canvas project. PM me if you're interested in an automated solution.

cutRasterImagesForCanvasPrint.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines