• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is crashing on M1 Mac (macOS Big Sur)

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator on a new Macbook Pro with M1 apple silicon. While using the software it often starts to randomly freeze and after a few minutes everything works again. Sometimes the whole mac is frozen for several minutes and Illustrator crashes completely. Not seeing anyone eelse reproting the problem und no issue desiriped my adobe on the M1 side i was wondering what could be rhe reason for this problem. Thank you!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi all,

We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.3.1) which is compatible with Apple Silicon & contains multiple bug fixes. Please follow the steps shared here to update your app.

For more information about this release, please check out this help article.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 157 Replies 157
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sound very familiar. I hope Adobe will come out with a native ILL app soon because I've had about 10 freez ups today on my MB Pro M1... Even had to restart it twice:-(.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with Illustrator and Photoshop, it is constantly crashing and freezing. Contacted Apple and Adobe a few times. 

I have basically been advised that the issue is of course due to the M1 chip and compatibilty and told Adobe are working on their software and until then nothing can be done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the workarounds described in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! Illustrator and InDesign both REALLY REALLY struggle with the M1 apple cilicon. Having the same issues. you are having. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, the exact same problem,and I find that when the macbook sleep and wake up all things goes normal. at least I dont need to force-restart...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  It must be a incompatibilty issue with apple silicon.  Gues we'll have to wait for the m1 optimized version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off iCloud Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to turn off iCloud drive? 

its really frustating! not just Illustrator and Adobe CC 2021, but the whole system on M1 crashed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing the same thing. Illustrator crashes frequently and makes the entire system but especially the Illustrator app run far too slowly to use for any content creation. Very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the workaround that elimates the freezing.

Under Illustrator Preferences
Click "Performance"

Uncheck "GPU Performance"
Set "Undo Counts" to 50
Uncheck "Real-Time Drawing and Editing"

If you experience issues with InDesign, turn off GPU Performance the same way you need to in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey! I just got my m1 macbook pro &  I am facing the exact same issue. It worked fine on day one, I mean it was freezing but it was working after some time but on day two its freezing everytime I open and do something and I was not able to work on it at all. This is too annoying 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check the comments from earliers posters you will find a workable solution! It maybe not as snappy as native optimised app, but after adjusting the settings I havent had any freezups!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click "Performance"

Set "Undo Counts" to 50

If you experience issues with InDesign, turn off GPU Performance the same way you need to in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a GPU Performance issue. Here is the workaround.

Click "Performance"

Set "Undo Counts" to 50

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. This has worked for a few of us.

Click "Performance"

Set "Undo Counts" to 50

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this too on my M1 Macbook Pro 13 16gb. random freezes stick the whole system, then frees up again, then freezes again. Illustrator only. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No more issues after upgrading to 11.1 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! Might give it another shot with all the features enabled again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the OS yesterday. I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it working correctly? I'm thinking about buying an M1 mac mini. But if illustrator is not working properly, then I just buy an iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here on my MacBook Pro M1! Sometimes the whole Mac won't work and i have to force it to restart. Not funny!! Why is there only a Photoshop Beta Version yet? I didn't bought the newest MacBook to suffer now because of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Apple MBP. M1 chip. 16 GB RAM. Hopefully, Adobe will improve their code soon, and make an M1 optimized version. I'm looking for alternatives to illustrator now which is sad because I really like Abode products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try to change the properties (remove the check from GPU performance),
fond the comment here where was explained how to do it. that helped for me.
Works fine for now 🙂 --

Su Å¡ypsena,
AistÄ— DilienÄ—
+370 671 59549

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so Adobe released an M1 beta version of illustrator. And it is slick and smooth, have never seen illustrator working better. Great job adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, the illustrator beta isn't showing up in my creative cloud 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines