• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is sooo fat I can't use it

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import a CAD pdf and it takes 2 minutes just to group... I can't move the group to ythe center of the page because it takes too long to run through every motion just to remember what I prompted it to do... There's just something wrong  with every new iteration of this program. 

Fix  a couple problems and introduce totally new and different problems with each release.

Isn't there a way I can opt out of all the flying butresses of the GUI introduced every month?/?/?

Give me a break.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @chartmango,

We understand how frustrating it can be to encounter performance issues in Illustrator. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://adobe.ly/3KMkclT) and letting us know if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks at the very least for the reply…!!

I understand and appreciate the thousands of interuptions, drives, OS updates, versions, subscriptions, options, other software conflicts… and the list goes on..

I have been using ADOBE PRODUCTS formally and professionally since 1995 when I began using a Mac for my job instead of pens and pencils.

I loved Adobe.. I gave up Quark, I threw everything else out. I use CAD everyday as well-Vectorworks.

I have always had problems with ALL software packages. I’ve had to create my own work-arounds for 30 years.

I, I, I, can’t understand how you(Adobe) don’t offer the opportunity to revert ANY TOOL or FUNCTION to be used in OG or Legacy , or whatever…..WITH EVERY ILLUSTRATOR UPDATE THAT MY CLIENTS CAN”T (cursing removed) WAIT TO DOWNLOAD AND USE ..

I have no choice but to stay current. ADOBE WON’T LET ME!!! – EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION- I have no control. Since the PANDEMIC. Adobe has lost almost all of my confidence/ support. I have had weekly episodes with ADOBE inconsistencies between apps., pdf conversions-Print issues. UI changes, new and useless tools, fly-over animations(I bet somebody got paid for those beautes!) I’m sick of it.

The more I pay you, the more shackled to YOUR VERSION OF MY WORKFLOW I BECOME>!!!

I don’t expect a reply.

But your links to  “try re-booting your computer!”

“ try working on your hard drive!!-

“ try managing your fonts!! He-he!!”

Thank you for the effort.

My retirement can’t come soon enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn off automatic updates and then use the version that is currently installed.

Or install additional versions without uninstalling the old ones. Nobody forces you to update. Unless of course you always want to run the latest operating system. Then older Illustrator versions might not be compatible anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t auto update…I guess if you read what I wrote instead of assuming I’m stupid, your answer would be different.

I CAN’T USE LAGACY IF THE FILE WAS CREATED IN THE LATEST UPDATE…

Seems stupid , I KNOW!!

I work for people WHO CAN’T WAIT TO UPDATE..

… I’m not going to keep 3 versions of ILLUSTRATOR loaded and ready to use. THAT”S STUPID

Thanks for your interjection..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your first post you were talking about a PDF exported from CAD. It doesn't matter in which version you open that. And for all the rest of your files I suggested that you keep multiple versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOUCHE!!

The expert speaks! This is why , for 30 years I've ignored this community forum.

Brilliant answer! I must say.

If I have one version of Illustrator that is TOO FAT TO USE,

Why wouldn't I want a couple more?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm done here.

Please make aa category... "Community Loser"... and add my name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chartmango This is a community forum with people volunteering their time to assist users like you. Insulting and berating the Experts on this site wont help solve your issues. Please be respectful with your replies and refer to:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/adobe-community-guidelines/td-p/47881...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up Kevin. I sincerely apologize. Monika, I am sorry. I realize my mistakes and ask your humble forgiveness. I was rude and that's no way to treat an expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chartmango getting back to your CAD issue - I've dealt with this myself.

The issue may not be with Illustrator per se, but it really depends on the export from AutoCAD (or whatever software they are using) when it is converted into Illustrator.

With 2000 dwgs, etc. the drawings always came in as individual line segments for objects. When dealing with a building plan this almost crashed Illustrator each time. It would have to redraw each segment slowing everything down. We had to delete a lot of extraneous objects before we could do anything.

We looked at HotDoor at one point which has plugins that can auto-join the line segments, but since we've moved on from importing CAD files to editing PDF exports instead. The plugin should work on your PDF exports as well.

https://www.hotdoor.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Kevin,

I have owned 13 versions of Hot Door, yet another version nightmare... The challenge though, as you correctly recognize is the CAD/pdf import creates a billion line segs. I do trade shows, I do this everyday. Convert the convention hall from their pdf and combine with my floor plan. Thousands of successful times. ¿ ¿ IN ILLUSTRATOR !!!   But not today... Alas another workaround has been challenged and met with success. ...Screen shot... a favorite quick fix. But not a real thing. My hopes, and the hopes of those I know, is Adobe can give us everything, Tall order I know,  simply by letting us turn on/off heavy lifters/animations,.. fat. We can choose in a pull down which version of the software would best help us with our project.  Which TOOLS I never use. Create my OWN Workspace. WWWOOOOWWW!

Could you imagine if you went to the shop every morning, doing your business.... but your table saw didn't work today? Apparently they moved the ON button last night, relocated the fence and added spinning wheels and lights? Cool!  Why? Financial reasons? Creative reasons? I'm sure they mean well.. Why don't they do that, but give me the chance to come in and still have the SAME TABLE SAW AS I HAD YESTERDAY? It makes me question whether the Professional has any considerations after 30 years of investment, or it's just a flashy toy creator for those who've "mastered" Photoshop and want something new to play with. I think Adobe is headed down a failure path. I hope I'm wrong.

Thank you for following up!

All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines