• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images Placed into Illustrator Remaining Vector?

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how Illustrator is the best for logo design and understand the benefit of a vector design.

My question is can you place an image from Photoshop as a png or jpg or otherwise into Illustrator and incorporate it in your design and have it remain vector-based?

In particular it is an image that I don't think would be easily traced - it is an image of green and white stripes.

Thanks.
TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

grantserafy,

A raster image remains raster = non vector artwork.

In many cases, the resulting artwork in an AI document contains both raster and vector parts, the former being raster images, rasterized artwork, and raster effects, each raster part having a certain resolution and therefore a size dependent appearance/quality and appear jagged/pixelated when scaled up or zoomed in on beyond a certain limit.

Whether that is an issue, and whether it is good, bad, or ugly, to image trace a give

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grantserafy,

To head it back, EPS is generally considered long outdated, and its being included in catchall deliveries of (more than/about) 20 formats is more a matter of allowing its compatibility with old equipment than of celebrating its limitations.

You may wish to reread the exquisite first paragraph in the second post by Scott.

Save (a Copy, if you wish to avoid any danger of downgrading your artwork) As PDF is the main way, and the way that AI is built to use (in a distant past it was EPS), and the best when applicable.

So EPS > PDF for non raster use (unless EPS is specifically required or as a catchall, but always include PDF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob - I am overthinking things as usual and you guys have been more than patient and helpful - I have the Cumberland Curative logo in AI, EPS, SVG, PDF, JPG, PNG, PSD and I think/hope the SVG and EPS and AI were done correctly and fully vector so, at any rate, I have seemingly all the formats needed for the client.  Appreciate all the advice - I need it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dang, after taking all of your information, I went back in to save the .AI file and was trying to save it in 72ppi and 300ppi and RGB and CMYK (if needed) in every format - ai, pdf, jpg, png, eps, svg and did all of that EXCEPT the svg files keep reverting to RGB 300ppi no matter how I save them - if I change the format to CMYK, 72ppi, it reverts it to RGB, 300ppi - even if I save it as RGB, 72ppi it reverts to RGB, 300ppi - frustrating - might have to start another post but any solutions would be appreciated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines