• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to write a script or plugin that creates a jigsaw pattern of organic shapes?

New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new here so please bear with me. 

There is a browser based tool called Blobmaker which creates organic shapes aka blobs. 

blob.jpg

The blobs are created with two user input variables called complexity and contrast.  Complexity means how many points are used to create the shape.  Contrast means how close the shape is to a circle.  I am having a problem inserting a link but you can google Blobmaker to see it. 

Of course this is an illustrator community so it should be obvious that I want to recreate this in illustrator.  But I want to go further.  I want to create a pattern of blobs with the blobs fitted to each other like a jigsaw pattern.  When the user inputs complexity and contrast all the blobs change at once. This vector stock image is exactly the kind of thing I want to create.  

blob-pattern.jpg

Is it possible to write a script or plugin to do this? 

I have programmed in a few pleasant but fairly basic activities so I happy to give it a go if someone guides me in the right direction on how to do this. 

TOPICS
Scripting , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would something like this be suitable for you?

organic_structures_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES this looks like the kind of thing I want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the circle fill script. From there you would have to distort the circles afterwards. incase the link does not work here is the page,

You can then use the warp tool

MikeGondek_0-1651682599169.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a pure scripting solution, a graph (data structure) is probably the way to go. This will be used to control adjacent parts of adjacent shapes so that they change together. But my personal experience is limited. Also, I think this will take much work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, daisuke.

Tomorrow I'll try to post some sketches that show one possible way in Illustrator.

No plugins or scripts are required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this tutorial to create similar.

Written using Illustrator CS3

http://vectips.com/tutorials/create-a-water-texture/

At that time, I wanted to create some animal patterns

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used a method that is very similar to the one kphotopage pointed out. Additionally, I did some fine-tuning with the Simplify command, Transform Each and some other manual adjustments.

Mike's suggestion is also very good. By the way, there is a pretty sophisticated Circle Pattern maker called "Lucky Resistor". You may have a look at it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines