• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a setting for viewing opacity correctly?

Mentor ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Illy doc with three lions heads, 1st is 100% color, 2nd is 50% opacity, 3rd is 50% tint.

Save as pdf.

Open in illy, they look great.

But place in a new Illy doc the Opacity looks 100%.

If I do a save as on the new illy doc, it looks fine in Acobat.

What setting don't have have set for accurate viewing of opacity in Illy?

Heads.jpgHeadsPlaced.jpgAcrobat.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably just a bug because the object itself is 100% opacity and some blending calculation isn't triggered correctly. I would try to apply a dummy raster effect or other appearance to force AI to calculate the correct appearance or perhaps you can play around with the opacity values on the object itself or group it and change the opacity there. You just need to ensure you don't forget to remove those extras/ dissolve the group.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try printing, the preview of the placed.ai might not be accurate. Would be helpful to know in troubleshooting if this is a display or print issue.

By 50% tint versus opacity, are you referring to color  palette versus transparency? If so is strange the color hue is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, I'm not concerned with the tint and opacity looking different or how it prints (the pdf in Acrobat is just fine) my issue is that when I open a pdf with a placed pdf file that has opacity, it displays as if there were no opacity... (image two above)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly the difference is between placed and open pdf files in Ai. When you save pdf from Ai as PDf you can keep Ai code in PDF file that allows to edit it in Ai and can keep transparency values and tint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm saving as Illustrator default which preseves editability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that what you are placing is not the Illustrator part of the file, but the PDF part.

I tried to replicate it with a file with 3 similar objects on 3 layers.

What you get when placing the file embedded is a single layer with groups and clipping masks.

It looks good until you ungroup the contents and the opacity (which is applied to the group (even if it was originally applied to individual elements)) disappears.

I think the big problem with placing Illustrator files (from a file or from the CC library) is that you actually place the pdf part instead of the Illustrator content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton, that makes sense, so the work around is to save as .ai until the very last print version, I'll have to try that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, save as .ai, but also copy/paste instead of place.

Placing and embedding .ai files could be improved if native content was placed, see:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/450...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines