• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to make a shortcut for aligning objects to your artboard?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobeans,

I am looking for a way to assign a custom shortcut to, specifically, the Horizontal Align Center and Vertical Align Center commands in Illustrator CC 2015. I am a production artist and am constantly centering items in my page when I'm working with pre-created art, so this would be hugely helpful, instead of having to move my mouse up to the Align commands in the top of my toolbar and clicking both of those.

I managed to assign custom keystrokes to the correlating command in InDesign (Align to Page/Margins, etc.), but cannot seem to find a place to type in custom keystrokes for this in Illustrator. Is it just not a command you can assign shortcuts to? Or is there some workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

You can record an action and assign a shortcut to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can record an action and assign a shortcut to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, perfect response. I never would have thought of that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simpler solution would be just to click the 'align centre' buttons in the 'Align Palette'. You must have the 'Align to art board' pre selected for it to align to the centre of your page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost always have Align to Artboard option set, so the Action solution does work. I still have to manually click a button for it to do that action, but it would be nice if I could program Illustrator to do Align Vertical if I hit Command + 1, let's say for example, and Align Horizontal if I hit Command + 2, e.g. It's a shame I can't assign shortcuts to just anything I want, but I think I'll use the Actions workaround in the meantime.

It sounds lazy but even still, having to move my mouse over to the Align panel to click Align Center Vertically and Align Center Horizontally in succession is what I'm trying to avoid. I wish I knew how to write scripts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt, are you sure you can record an action that centers an object on the artboard? I've tried that before, and the action doesn't record the fact that I have the "Align to Artboard" option selected, so the action doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align to Artboard has to be on, otherwise the action fails, yes.

I thought that was obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align to Artboard has to be on, otherwise the action fails, yes.

I thought that was obvious.

And I thought it was obvious that I said I tried exactly that. For whatever reason, it didn't work then, but it is now. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One side note which turns out to be very useful.

If you work with consistent page or artboard sizes, consider using the Transform dialogue X and Y coordinates instead of using the align to center buttons.  One advantage: If you want to select everything and center it on the art board, you won't have to remember to group everything first. But also—scriptability in the Actions palette.

Happy straightening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idea for Adobe: Why not use the "alt" key as a toggle between the two? This is used in so many other places. Then you would just have to hold down "alt" prior to clicking one of the align buttons, and it would define weather it's align to object or artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came to this page trying to find a shortcut for exactly that -- toggling between aligning to artboard VS selection. Currently having to use the dropdown frequently for a project and getting tired of it.  +1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions are not a good solution — too little flexibility in assigning a key combination.

I want to set the same keyboard shortcut that I've assigned to Photoshop and Sketch align tools, not F6 or whatever. Please add align controls to the keyboard shortcuts menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump for visibility. (Adobe is clearly not reading their Feature Requests.)

Alignment is a key function in design. That it can't be mapped to a keyboard shortcut (without an action) is insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obsessivetype  schrieb

Bump for visibility. (Adobe is clearly not reading their Feature Requests.)

Post it to http://illustrator.uservoice.com (and hope for many votes on the feature)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I asked this question, for anyone still reading, I did end up with a pretty feasible workaround that serves me well every day. I just assigned custom keyboard shortcuts to "Align to Page Vertically" and "Align to Page Horizontally." In my case they are kind of convoluted but I was running out of shortcuts to work with, so I did Cmd + Shift + 5 and Cmd + Shift + 6, respectively. Still wish Adobe had a built-in keystroke for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines