Exit

Is this magic?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juitingchien_0-1723128179474.png

juitingchien_2-1723128238257.png

When I drag the 'Streetlamp' layer out of the 'Checkerboard' layer region, it suddenly becomes non-transparent. How is this possible? Is this magic?

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork heavily relies on blend modes. They only work when something is below them.

And also: that needs to happen inside Illustrator. You cannot export it and then combine it e.g. on a website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, thank you for the reply.
I downloaded this image from Freepik. Does that mean I can't use this image as a transparent background image anywhere else from this Illustrator file?

I drew a random rectangle in this Illustrator file, and it seems to work the same as that checkerboard. Could you please tell me how to achieve this effect or where to find related documentation or tutorials? I understand the basic blending modes, like how the screen mode is good for removing black backgrounds and the multiply mode works for removing white backgrounds, but this seems like a totally different thing.

athletic_intuition2365_2-1723164853489.png

athletic_intuition2365_3-1723164889556.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know of tutorials. You can analyze the file. Just select the objects one by one and then see which attributes they have. You can use the Appearance panel for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines