Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 336 Replies 336
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong Wade. We’re talking about 0%C, 0%M, 0%Y, 0%K and below 0°C/32°F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perzackly, to quote someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…0%K, ≤ 273.15°K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…0%K, ≤ 273.15°K

I think that should be 0°K = –273.15°C.

But It doesn’t need to be as cold as that. Not quite sure if It even can be as cold as that.

As a matter of fact I think it is incorrect to speak of °K. Just K will do the trick.

But seeing as how K and °C are exactly the same size and that 0°C = 273.15K, then I think It must’ve changed colour.

Solid black on two plates and 73.15% black on the third.

As we say here "Nú er það svart." Literally "Now it’s black" = Now we are in deep s**t.

Or are we getting sidetracked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I read it, ... stand for 0%C, 0%M, 0%Y, so

…0%K, ≤ 273.15°K

means

0%C, 0%M, 0%Y, 0%K and ≤ 273.15°K

which is quite accurate (apart from the °K instead of K, but that is surely just to make sure that it is not a triple shot K print, but the opposite).

In any case I hope we are soon in deep s**w.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob: K vs °K: Apparently that change took place without my awareness, the conference which made the change convening just after I had completed my last formal physics and geography coursework. You might think that somewhere in the intervening 45 years it would have come to my notice, but no dice. Please feel free, though, to maintain your above analysis of my usage. Also, I see that the correct figure is 273.16. The inaccuracy is in the conversion table in my computer's calculator. My brain had it right, but I believed the machine.

Steve: I was just restating your criteria in absolute terms.

Wade: Hard evidence only, please; and, by the way, no Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I was as surprised to see the K instead of °K as were you when I looked it up after Steve had pointed it out, and I assumed that I had just misremembered until read about the conference just now after your mentioning it.

About 276.16 here now, unfortunately, patches of brown and green starting to appear, hopefully another cover up on Thursday or Friday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Jacob, I didn't understand about the K when Steve mentioned it. I only looked it up after your comment. You're right, Steve, thanks for educating me (yet again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ask any of them and I assure you they will swear there was snow that day.

Here in New York City we already had a snow storm in early November but as you can see it did not last long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It pretends to be here.

So much for having a great negative NAO value and 26 degrees below Chennai.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ours has gone away again. Not a sight of It anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to read up on NAO, but later: music project has priority.

Ours is still here, crunchy and wet. Too gray and depressing for a photo today. Cow and calf moose in the yard, driving the dogs crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now things are just beginning to look brighter here, with 30°bC, 1019.5 hPa, and NAOI -0.8 and deepening, maybe lasting well into March.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pretty picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the sufficient luck we have just started on our third winter this year; that is, if the NAO stays on our side (down) instead of going belly up as it has happened thrice over the last month.

As it appears, many cross the farmyard. Apart from the backtracking bigfootprints, there are many different made by paws, claws, and cloven hooves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gentle beginning of the fourth winter this year. Seemingly it will last a bit longer than the third, maybe until the end or even into the next.

How is it up/over there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally nondescript up here. This one averaged 55%K.

Grami.jpg

Some slight snow last week that came down brownish and covered the car and the house with mud.

We think it was volcanic ash from Eyjafjallajökull that got caught up in the high winds.

Hosing helped but there’s still mud on the ground. Maybe it’ll help the grass grow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many words are there for (what feels like) snow in Icelandic, Steve (including different values of K and maybe even CMY)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really so many.

Snjór, snær (rare), fönn (poetic), mjöll = loose snow, hjarn = hard crust snow.

Skafl = snowdrift

Mjallhvít = Snow White.

Reckon you need to go to Greenland. I believe they have dozens of words there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were promised two lovely days with persoq and then nittaalaq, totalling some 10 inches of aput and up to a fresh gale to create a nice aniuvak here and there, maybe even a solid kimaugruk in the pass to keep everyone at home. But after just one day we are left with a calm greyness, no qanik and no ayak, a little anigruak on (some of) the branches and barely 1 inch of aput in the form of katiksunik, just to cover the old pukak, far from enough to create even the smallest natigvik, eventually to turn into akillukkak, then milik, then auksalak, then nothing. Just 20 miles away they have 4 inches, and further away they did get the 10 inches and all the fun.

So dreadfully little is happening here in the last week before the new day as you can see, and even less is likely to happen in the first couple of weeks to follow. This seems to be the very end. Oh wait, right now, after the photo, there is a very light apivoq (very) slowly forming nutagak right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is no longer here, the only whiteness being a light ghost show and the last shadow show.

I wonder how it is over/up there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice nearly-springish weather up her.

Sunshine but still a chill in the wind.

Frost on the windscreen in the morning but it’s gone by around 9.

The grass is dusty because of all the ash that came with the last snow and they say that this March was the driest on record since 1949.

So we could do with some good heavy rain to clean things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Day before yesterday near -17℃, now at 3℃. It seems that we've had more days of melting than not for the past two months, yet still there's white slipperyness everywhere. Not particularly picture-worthy. We can do without the rain. No ash for a couple of years, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was spring yesterday…

Spring snow 20132013-04-06 at 11-13-22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You Ice Age people really need to go southwards.

In that current snapshot I replaced the original blue sky background with some greyish despair. Just to prevent you from grudging misery.

spring_2013.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines