Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large JPEG Image will not place in Adobe Illustrator

Explorer ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have to set up artwork files for a clients exhibition booth the back wall of the booth is 9 metres wide by 3.6 metres high.

I have set up 3 different artwork files for the back wall so its not 1 artwork file.

The booth is being printed in Japan and the vendor has asked for illustrator files and that the images need to be 150 DPI / PPI at 100% size.

I have down scaled my artwork to 25% so my images DPI / PPI need to be 600.

I need to place 2 images onto each section of the wall (3 parts) a background gradient and an a cutout image of a person.

When I try to place an image into illustrator it times out and the image is not placed into the file, the back ground gradient is 550 MB this is just one of the images I need to place.

Is there a maximum file size that can be placed into illustrator?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I read through the thread but didn't get a solution that would work for my artwork, I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 meters is almost 30' in width (354.331" to be exact). The size is similar to a 10' X 30' billboard. 150ppi at that size is pretty ridiculous; it works out to an image over 53,000 pixels wide. Outdoor billboards are often set at just 25ppi at full size (or 300ppi at a 1" = 1' scale).

Is the artwork something that can be a mix of raster and vector content? For instance, if the background is just a gradient fill can it be vector-based? The cut-out images of people could be floated over it. Such a thing would reduce the file size dramatically. If it all has to be raster-based I'd consider just putting it together in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bobby,

Yeah the size is huge even when I reduce it to a 25% scale and then the gradient has to be 600 DPOI so when scaled up it will be 150 DPI.

The DPI seems very high but that is what the printer has asked for, I think what you have suggested a mix of raster and vector (gradient background) is the best solution.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines