• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Larger Canvas in Illustrator 24.2 – 100x more space!

Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest release of Illustrator (24.2) comes with one of the most requested features, a larger canvas with 100x more space to keep all your assets organized in one project.

Now whether you need room to design or create wall art, billboards, advertisements, and more, you can expand your canvas area without worrying about the artwork dimensions, precision, and scale.

Whats-new-Large-canvas-Intro-small.gif

Illustrator 24.2 offers a canvas size of 2270 x 2270 inches which lets you create multiple artboards with larger dimensions. You can also use these updated units in the Units drop-down: Feet, Meters, Yards, and Feet & Inches.

To ensure that the new document is created with a larger canvas use the following settings in the New Document dialog:

• Specify the artboard size of more than 227 inches (default canvas size). You can also choose the specified units in Feet, Meters, Yards, or Feet & Inches.
  • Large canvas allows you to accommodate more artboards than the default canvas size.

New Document screen.png

An alert sign is displayed at the bottom of the New document dialog indicating that the specified dimensions are bigger than the default canvas size and the new document will be created on a large canvas. 

Check this link for more details about this feature.

Large canvas FAQs:

Can I copy artwork from a large canvas to the default canvas?

• Yes, you can copy-and-paste artwork from large-sized canvas to the default canvas. However, if the large-scale artwork does not fit in the canvas or hits canvas bounds, the artwork is automatically scaled down to fit into the canvas size. 

Can I save large-scaled artwork as a PDF?

• Yes, you can save your artwork as a PDF.  To view your artwork in actual size, use Acrobat 1.6 or later.
  • When you save the large-scaled artwork with the PDF version 1.5 or below, the artwork is scaled-down and appears ten times smaller on opening the PDF.

What happens when I Open the large-scaled artwork in a previous version of Illustrator?

• When you save or export the artwork created on a large-sized canvas in Illustrator version below 24.0, the artwork will appear ten times smaller so that it gets accommodated in the default canvas size. Note that it may also disable some editing features and change the text layout.

What are the Supported formats for export and limitations?

• Currently, the following formats are supported if you export a large-sized document: PDFPNGJPEGPSDTIFF, and SVG.
  • The Slices and Save for web features do not currently work with large-size canvas. If you are using Actions that involve these features, steps related to them will be skipped.

Check this link for more FAQs and known issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Including things like crop marks is very rarely (if ever) necessary in large format printed projects. Within an application like Illustrator, the main thing is to compose the design as desired and incorporate how much bleed will be needed around the perimeter of the design. Projects like vehicle wraps are printed on multiple sheets of vehicle wrap vinyl. But it is usually the dedicated RIP application that will divide the artwork up into different panels. The person operating the RIP application will decide how much overlap is needed for each panel. That doesn't need to be done within Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should give you an example, I design artwork to go on the inside of a bus. Say I'm going to have a strip of vinyl to go on the inside of the bus (what we call "coves") and I know it goes on 4 or 5 different panels. With the large canvas feature I can have these all full size, as artboards, side by side. But what I can't do is export each panel individually as a PDF with bleed and crop marks. 

Then of course there are smaller notices, designed alongside the bus livery in the same document, for example 'no smoking' 'do not stand forward of this point' etc. - I should be able to export these artboards from a large format Illustrator file as a PDF with bleed and crop marks if I so wanted. 

I appreciate that it wouldn't always be the best workflow for a given scenario, but I highlight it because at the moment this feature is broken. 

I attach an extreme but relevant example, showing what an A4 document looks like exported from one of these files in Illustrator 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't understand why you need all the crop marks and other color separation technie mumbo jumbo included with the print. A large format printer is going to generate the print in one pass, direct to the vinyl roll being fed through the printer or direct to the material substrate if you're using a flatbed printer. The most I need to include is a box represenating the outer edge of the print (which includes any amount of bleed incorporated into the artwork) and maybe a more faint fold/cut line for the "visible opening" of the print. For instance, banners typically need around 1 inch of extra bleed to fold over to strengthen the edges for grommets to be installed.

About the multiple art boards. Some of that will drive sign companies like us or printing service bureaus a bit crazy. When ever it's possible, we like to "nest" multiple print jobs together to conserve material, be it roll vinyl fed through a large format printer or a flat rigid material to use on a flatbed printer. Rather than use multiple art boards I just create a vector box representing the sign face, banner face or what ever it is that has to be printed and have it positioned on a larger art board. I can crop or clip the artwork into that box if need be. The whole thing can be re-positioned with other artwork, or easily copied/pasted into other documents. Art boards are not something as easy to select and move. Further the tangible artwork box/border can be easily turned into a cut path since print/cut operations are pretty common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose what I'm saying is that from a design point of view I want to use the large canvas to design artwork at full size, and have the flexibility to be able to export sections, or individual elements out as print PDFs with marks without the need to rescale. Which ostensibly is what this feature is supposed to facilitate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose what I'm saying is that from a design point of view I want to use the large canvas to design artwork at full size, and have the flexibility to be able to export sections, or individual elements out as print PDFs with marks without the need to rescale. Which ostensibly is what this feature is supposed to facilitate. 

By @whistlerpro21

Why? If you are sending files off to another company to do the print work you are creating needless amounts of extra work for them just to print the job.

The technie nerdy crop marks stuff is not needed at all for large format print jobs. That extra stuff takes up space and wastes material when printed. That translates into it costing more to print. The client will get billed for that. If possible we'll open the file to eliminate that stuff before printing. Or we'll print a client-provided PDF as-is, especially if it has a bunch of embedded fonts and other stuff that makes it more tricky to open and edit the file. The crop marks will be included in the print and the client will be charged for the larger than expected area consumed by the print job.

I rarely ever use multiple art boards in Adobe Illustrator, and when I do it is usually done as a "dirty" way to build a multiple page document (rather than creating it within InDesign). I can position numerous sign face elements on a single giant-size artboard. The sign faces and graphical elements inside them can be easily selected and exported individually or copied into other documents if need be. For things like building sign projects I often have to include portions of the building or the entire building elevation in the design. That makes it all the more necessary to compose the sign design on an actual editable object rather than use an art board to represent the sign face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, NO!

You create one GINORMOUS design for the bus, and if it is not a full wrap going down like wall paper, save each element as an individual file with the art board at the actual size for that element (plus the bleed, only if the arwork actually bleeds)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really do not seem to be getting it.  FORGET Crop Marks & Printer Marks.  JUST make believe they DO NOT exist. For those of us producing large format graphics they get in the way, and create the extra step of REMOVING them.  They do not WORK for large format out put, from a strictly mechanical point of view.  You are almost certainly thinking in a level of precision that is not achieveable for a human to manually trim, and most likely not remotly visible in the final application.

The other printer marks are for a Pressman to measure values and adjust ink levels on the PRINTING PRESS, your job is not being printed on a PRESS and there is no Pressman.

Large format printers are just GIANT ink jet printers, operating like your desktop printer.

We are printing on boards or rolls, and when you print something that is say 96" long through the throat of the printer, it could be as much as a 1/4 to 1/2 longer or shorter.  AND in most applications at this scale, it DOES NOT MATTER

Our RIP software is designed to take your SINGLE design, and panel it into the individual Height x Width "artboards" you think you need to create.

If you really want to control the paneling, create one design at the finished size including the bleed, then save a copy of each panel by adjusting the SINGLE ARTBOARD "behind" the full graphic for each copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally get your point of view, but you are assuming that there is only a single use case for large canvas - when there are an unlimited number of use cases. If I want to use a large canvas document to create many smaller documents, why shouldn't I be able to export each one of these with properly scaled bleed and crop marks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@whistlerpro21 wrote:

I totally get your point of view, but you are assuming that there is only a single use case for large canvas - when there are an unlimited number of use cases. If I want to use a large canvas document to create many smaller documents, why shouldn't I be able to export each one of these with properly scaled bleed and crop marks?

Okay, but let's really think about for just a minute.

Why was this "feature" created?  

My guess is so guys like me could design vehicle lettering, signs & murals, and be able to work at 100% rather than to scale, where "HARD" measurements are required.  Like the side of a truck IS 88" x 262" and there are State Imposed letter size requirments, and tranfering those measurements to scale can create a SUPER DUPER costly error.  And since we are human and by our very nature imperfect, eliminating a step that WILL get F#$@ed up, trust me I have gotten dozens of files from designers working to scale that needed to be fixed.  That's why I design large format in FlexiSign, and I sometimes need to export oversized PDF files.

What you seem to want to do is create multiple "documents" on one giant "contact sheet" and complaining about the the way the program handles your individual elements.  But here is the thing, for those of us who have requested/needed this funtionality for DECADES, they needed to make the file compatable with the PDF standard, that a dozen or so other companies developed their RIP engines to work with.

You are treating a Illustrator like a VISE GRIP, yes you can turn all sorts nuts and bolts, but they will get stripped, so that's why there are sockets, wrenches (open & box end), InDesign and Acrobat.

Here is the answer to you "export" problem.

1. Copy the Item in question and only that item.
  2. Create new document at your target size.
  3. Paste
  4. Save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, I work with the same sort of artwork and yes most of it is fine without bleed and marks. I'd just like the flexibility to add them when necessary. End of story. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but let's really think about for just a minute.

Why was this "feature" created?  

My guess is so guys like me could design vehicle lettering, signs & murals, and be able to work at 100% rather than to scale, where "HARD" measurements are required.  Like the side of a truck IS 88" x 262" and there are State Imposed letter size requirments, and tranfering those measurements to scale can create a SUPER DUPER costly error.  And since we are human and by our very nature imperfect, eliminating a step that WILL get F#$@ed up, trust me I have gotten dozens of files from designers working to scale that needed to be fixed.  That's why I design large format in FlexiSign, and I sometimes need to export oversized PDF files.

Not to get off topic, but I used to do some of my design work within FlexiSign Pro and CASmate prior to that, due in part to the larger art board sizes they allowed. It is much easier in a sign production environment to design files at full size, especially if other people will be opening those files to print jobs or rout/cut sign parts. Sometimes a project will force things to be designed at a smaller scale, such as 50% of actual size or 10% of actual size. When elements are reduced to a certain scale there is always a risk someone else accessing the file will forget to scale artwork elements back up to full size before taking the art into production. I'll always include big red notes in the file denoting the scale, but no matter how yelly someone gets with the notes it's always possible for another staff member to have a brain-fart and overlook the warning.

I quit using Flexi back in the 2000's for design purposes due to its extremely outdated type engine. We still have 3 licenses of Flexi in my workplace. Two are installed on production computers connecting directly to routing tables and/or vinyl cutters. One of my co-workers has the 3rd Flexi license installed on her machine. I personally don't need it on mine. CorelDRAW has a max art board size of 1800" X 1800". That worked well for most general purposes. From the early 1990's I've relied on Illustrator for specialized tasks, such as getting vector paths into Photoshop. When OpenType was first developed Illustrator was one of the first applications to take advantage of the capabilities. It took another decade for Corel to incorporate a proper OpenType engine into CorelDRAW (at version X6 in 2012). Now we have OTF Variable Fonts, which sort of ressurrects the Multiple Master concept from Postscript Type 1 MM fonts. Illustrator was well ahead of CorelDRAW at incorporating that. And Illustrator is the only major vector drawing application that supports OTF SVG fonts. Meanwhile Flexi is still stuck back in the 1990's with its type handling, among other things. Firing up Flexi feels like going back in time 20+ years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, but there are several features in Flexi, that I have not been able to find in AI, if they are there and some that just work better in Flexi.  But, hey that's why there is Coke and Pepsi, but my Favorite is still Dr. Brown's Cream Soda.  To each his own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only an issue if the PDF version you are chosing upon export is less than 1.6, the pop-up even states as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple things to be aware of:

When you place an image without scaling, the links pallet says it's placed at 10%, but it's actually at 100%. The resolution in the links pallet is correct.

If you package the file for transfer & create a report, the image resolutions listed there will be 10x what they are in reality.

If you need an image to print at 300 ppi & create it as such in Photoshop, and place it at 100% actual size, the links pallet will say it's placed at 10 % and the report will say the resolution is 3000.

Working on a 20ft back wall for a trade show & it took us a while to figure out why the math wasn't coming out the way we've done it for 25 years. If we had known, would have created at 50% size in an earlier version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created 210cm x 202cm multiple artboards in a file. When I save as to pdf it comes 10% smaller than the original size. I tried compatable versions 7 & 8 as well. How can I make the original size in pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you start with an oversized canvas and then reduced to the size you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but the implementation, of this long sought after feature, is too confusing and weak at best.

For those of us that work in grand format out put, this is a bit of a nightmare.  

If I want to send a job out for printing:

I have to export at a scale to a pdf, then create a new file at the corect size(because I cannot change the size of the exported pdf file), place my exported pdf, scale it up to the correct size, save the new pdf.  Then send that new file to the service bureau, then contact them to make sure the file will output correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The large canvas mode was implemented the way it is due to numerous reasons. The large canvas mode is not backward compatible with versions of Illustrator prior to CC 2021.2. The large canvas mode is not export-friendly to other applications in normal kinds of print/video/web work flows. InDesign still has a 227" max page size. Graphics applications not made by Adobe are hit & miss with how well they can import Illustrator CC documents, much less import a large canvas-based AI file. I usually get the best results down-saving to AI CS6 format (along with flattening/expanding a variety of effects). The large canvas mode is not a default, one size fits all solution for all Illustrator users. It is a specialty mode for unique use cases.

I work in the sign industry and use Illustrator for a pretty wide variety of design tasks, including billboard faces or other grand format projects. I have to adjust my approach with how I use Illustrator (and other applications) on a project by project basis. We do a lot of large format printing in-house but have to job-out items like billboard faces to other service bureaus. Every one of those companies has their own list of artwork requirements. It is routine for them to demand artwork be set in a certain scale, such as 1" = 1'. I rarely get to send them full sized artwork. Artwork scale is just one of a number of requirements many service bureaus have for customer provided artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes as far as I can tell this feature is pretty useless. What use is having a 100% sized document that could be misinterpreted by a contractor as being 90% smaller. You might as well just stick to doing a labelled 10% scale drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The large canvas feature is useful, but the person using the feature has to put in the effort to understand the caviats involved. That's especially critical when sending AI or PDF files off to other users or service bureaus.

It is flat out unreasonable to expect Adobe to make the large canvas mode the default geometry mode for Illustrator. It is also unreasonable to expect large canvas AI documents to preserve a large canvas when down-saving to earlier versions of Illustrator. It is even more unreasonable for anyone to expect (or demand) unlimited canvas sizes. Every vector graphics application has max artboard size limits, be it CorelDRAW, Inkscape, Affinity Designer, Vectornator, etc. They all have limits.

With every new release of Illustrator I am routinely careful about testing new features in my work flow. The large canvas feature is no different. If I'm printing a job in house I have to make sure PDFs with any new feature or effect load successfully in my RIP applications and output correctly. If I'm sending files off to a service bureau I have to make sure their Adobe software and other workflow software is up to date. If not, I have to make adjustments for what they can handle. That's just a fact of life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I agree. In my organisation our standard print workflow always involves backsaving, just as a part of procedure. So of course it's a useless feature to me. In an ideal world perhaps it would be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines