Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers "eye" icon

Participant ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For over 8 months now I have an illustrator file that has about 20 layers, and even though when I save it all layers are visible, when I re-open it, 10+ laters are not visible and the eye icon is turned off.

Why is this happening, and how do I stop it from happening?

Thanks,

Alex

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version is it?

Did you already reboot the system and reset the Illustrator preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version, and I have not reset preffs yet. I don't have preffs set in it hence why I didn't, but I can give it a try.

UPDATE:
I just re-installed it without keeping the preffs and its STILL opens this file with the layers eye icon off!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this Illustrator file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried to upload the .ai file but its not uploading it. Its 2.2 megs.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other way to upload?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a PDF with AI Editing enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked; Thank you. See below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get all your objects visible after turning on layers eyes - save it and open again. Did you get the same result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what it's doing; All objects/layers are visible when I "Save as" or "Save" and when I re-open the doc all the text layers specifically are off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I find the problem and solution but not the reason. When I open your pdf in Ai and try to change not available fonts I get that it not possible for locked layers. I am not able to find any locked layers in your layers. Therefore I create a new layer and move your text layers into a new layer. make them visible , save the file and get them visible in new opened saved files. So, move them into a new layer. 

Screenshot 2024-07-11 153615.pngScreenshot 2024-07-11 154017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "and try to change not available fonts I get that it not possible for locked layers"

The only locked layers were the boxes and background. None of the text layers were locked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't explain why they are locked, but the solution is to move them into new created layer. May be your file have some problems with that layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ok, I will try that.

Thank you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that did not work at my end. I moved the text layers onto a new layer, saved, and closed Illustrator, and when I reopened it, all the layer Eye icons were off. 🤷‍:female_sign: This is super weird. This is the only file I have that does this. I just checed a bunch of other files I have and neither did that. Mind you, I already recreated this file twice in the hopes that it will stop doing that, and that did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file might be corrupt.

Copy all the contents to a new file and then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AG_Graphix 

I hope the suggestions shared above were helpful. If you encountered any issues, please don't hesitate to share the file here, and we'll do our best to investigate what's causing the problem. If the file is confidential, you can send it via DM.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

The text file is above. 

This IS the new file. I've done that already, and when I saw that it still did that, I posted on here....

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines