• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magnifier tool shortcut (alt to change) not working

Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else finding, in Ai 2017, that their magnifier tool doesn't work frequently?  On Windows 10, I hold the alt key down to zoom out, but I'm finding that instead of the "-" in the magnifier, I'm getting the hand tool, which should happen when I hold the shift key.  If I click off of the magnifier and then back on, it will start working again.  This seems like a bug, but since Adobe doesn't have a great track record of fixing little things like this, I thought I would check with the forum before reporting it.  This happens every few minutes, so it is very inconvenient.  Thanks for any input!

GS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

I realise that this is an old post, but I found that the unticking the ​Zoom with Scroll Wheel​ option under ​Preferences > General seemed to do the trick for me, though I can't guarantee that it'll work for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This kind of irritations with modifier keys tends to happen as some incompatibilities with certain browser add-ons and some other apps. Can you please and shut down all other apps, launch only Illustrator and then check your alt key?

Also: in case you haven't restarted the computer for more than a day: do that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Monika.  The problem is that I use 3 of my programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) at the same time, going back and forth between the three.  I do not have any add-ons on Illustrator.  So would it help if, when this happens again, I closed the other adobe programs?  Or are there others you are referring to? 

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other Adobe apps should not be an issue.

What else is open? Browser? E-Mail? Banking software? Which antivirus? Something else? Those small apps are known to cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do appreciate your advice, but I cannot close everything just to work in Illustrator.  The other things I have open, like Firefox or Excel, must remain open when I work.  It has never happened before, so it must be the 2017 version that is misbehaving.  Because it only happens occasionally, I will try closing things when it happens to see if that solves the problem.  However, I can't change my entire way of working just because there is a problem with ai.  That is what needs to be fixed.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic Squirrel schrieb:

That is what needs to be fixed.

As long as it's not clear what is causing the issue, it will be difficult to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - I can't argue with that logic!

I will report it to Adobe so they can work on locating the issue, and if I discover it myself, I'll pass that along so hopefully it will help them fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise that this is an old post, but I found that the unticking the ​Zoom with Scroll Wheel​ option under ​Preferences > General seemed to do the trick for me, though I can't guarantee that it'll work for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 update.  This sudenly started happening to me too, where the magnifiying glass becomes the hand when you press alt, instead of being the minus-glass (zoom out) as it should be.  BUT, in experimenting, it's only happening if TEXT is involved.  So, if I zoom in on text with the magnifying glass, then mess around with the text some, and then try and zoom out, I get the hand instead of the minus-glass.  BUT if I change my tool and click anywhere in the artboard, then switch back to the magnifying glass, there is the correct alt: the zoom-out minus glass.  So this is a glitch, seemingly triggered by some interaction of zoom and text.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant. Works for me and will save so much time. I had been closing our of Ilustrator for the past year to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Glad it helped. That glitch was driving me insane too. I wish Adobe would fix this, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines