• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move artboard along with its content to another documet?

Valorous Hero ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible and if not what's your fastest way to recreate that on another document with different artboard/s on a differnt place in the workspace?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

document set up / edit artboards / option drag the current artboard somewhere els on canvas... that will also create a "new page" if saved as PDF for instance

but: if u select the artboard and apple C it the past in new  doc it will only paste the contents and ignore artboard size...

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's basically what I'm doing, adding a rectangle snapped to the artboard boundary then copy all, paste in a new document, create new artboard snapping it to the rectangle, and deleting the rectangle but I was wondering if there is a faster way. Can this be scripted?

I'm making a layout with various sizes images that will be printed all, in groups, or one by one, so I have nested artboards and moving a group of images and their artboard between documents is getting really tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of deleting the boundary rectangle, you can select it, go to the Artboards submenu and select "convert to artboards".

If you want to simplify your copy pasting, you can select the all the content from the source artboard with Alt-Ctrl-A before Ctrl-Cing and Ctrl-Ving.

If you're copying the same stuff often, you can save the selection using the selection menu, and then you can easily retrieve the selection when you need it in the future.

I think this is as fast as you can get with it manually.

Of course it can be scripted, since everything you can do in Illustrator can be scripted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melaniea95188378 wrote:

Of course it can be scripted, since everything you can do in Illustrator can be scripted.

no, not everything, there are quite a few features not accessible to scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the correction Carlos... I don't really know any examples of something that can't be scripted but I only started doing it this year so there's that.

I do think what she wants could be scripted... moving a selection to an artboard on another document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some of it...

- path simplify

- live paint

- spelling

- keyboard shortcuts

- create brushes

- create graphic styles

- appearance

- Align key object

- Blends

- arrow heads

agree, the original request can be scripted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Create same size artboard(s).
2) CMD+C to copy, CMD+SHIFT+V to paste in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And turn on "Paste Remembers Layers" if you want to maintain the same layer structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. I thought about adding that about 10 minutes after my post. that seems to be the biggest concern from others on similar forums asking about this problem. "Paste Remembers Layers" will maintain the structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a solution to this question as well--the need to copy an artboard from one document to another.

The solution that I've come up with is to:

• draw a placeholder rectangle the exact dimensions and placement of the artboard I want to copy.
  • Copy that shape along with all of the art on the artboard I want to copy.
  • Paste it into the other document somewhere in the pastboard area away from any artboards.
  • Select the create artboard tool.
  • click on the rectangle that is the size of the artboard and a new artboard will be created at those dimentions.
  • Delete the placeholder rectangle.

Probably not a perfect solution, but it gets the job done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines