• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple datasets on a single sheet

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2011 Aug 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm a newbie at Illustrator scripting and I wish to create a set of data-driven labels. The labels are to be printed 16-up per sheet. I have gotten the XML file to work and Illustrator is able to pick up the data however it only allows me to change the first label in that .AI.

What do I have to do in order to print 16 different datasets of labels per sheet?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

ledesirardent wrote:

Oh and I already grouped them. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do here.

Before run it, you should draw a rectangle on top, select the rectangle and all others and then group all.

For your second question, all you need is apply a (4*4) transform effect to you data group.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May this snippet help you!

It merge all you dataSet into a new illustrator document, like Indesign's dataMerge function do.

You only need one label, delete others, and the script will create for you. Just make sure to draw a rectangle on top of all you data object, group all and run this script. Save your works first!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dataset.jpg

Thanks @moluapple for the advice but unfortunately that's not exactly what I'm looking for. Sorry if I wasn't being clear with my question earlier but I'm not looking for a script that auto-generates all my datasets in one sheet. I wish to have more control over what datasets that needs to be printed in one sheet so I'm wondering if there's a script out there that can like me select what datasets I wish to get printed per sheet.

I've taken a screenshot of my artwork and an example of my dilemma is as shown: I wanted to change the dataset for the selected blue box but it changed the first box instead. I wish to be able to click each box and select the dataset and move over to the next and voila, print. I only need 16 different datasets to be printed per sheet.

Is that possible?

I hope you understand what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you had asked is impossible, because of your misunderstanding of illustrator's variables property: one variable can only binding to one object(or multi object with same value)!

OK, I upload a video for you, doesn't this what you need indeed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @moluapple, this looks something very close to what I need! I can't read Chinese text so I'm not exactly sure how I can achieve that. Would you be able to provide me a script or a tutorial? I would gladly appreciate it!

Also, what happens if I have more than 16 datasets? Will it overflow within one sheet or immediately generate the next 16 datasets on another sheet?

Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the script directly, here is the link (try "save as" it).

Also, what happens if I have more than 16 datasets? Will it overflow within one sheet or immediately generate the next 16 datasets on another sheet?

Yes, the answer is on another sheet. Since you are using Illustrator CS5, It will create multi (upto 100) artboards(sheet) according to your datasets's length, and how many "datasets" per sheet is determined by the bounds of you data objects group (yes you should group them first, like what I have said in my first post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank @moluapple! Not sure what I did wrong but when I ran the script, this happened.

datasetII.jpg

Am I supposed to do something to the script? I'm sorry for looking stupid, I'm new to working with scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry @moluapple for the flood of posts, but I'm also open to exploring other methods of working with datasets. Is there also a way to have multiple objects (16 per sheet) of the same dataset? If so, how do I do that? Is there a script for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ledesirardent wrote:

Before run it, you should draw a rectangle on top, select the rectangle and all others and then group all.

For your second question, all you need is apply a (4*4) transform effect to you data group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWEET!!!! Thank you @moluapple! You're a lifesaver. I was really silly, went to position the rectangle at the back instead of the front. Your script works wonderfully well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @moluapple,

How do I apply the (4*4) transform effect to my data group?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this attachment file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @moluapple for the attachment. I've done the 4x4 transformation and it shows up correctly.

1.JPG

But once I ran the AI_datasetMakeup.jsx script, everything looks wrong.

2.JPG

What am I doing wrong here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh nvm! I figured it out already! Thank you @moluapple for your help again. 🙂 Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines