My Illustrator wishlist

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Illustrator can tell the length if any path

I wish the canvas size was unlimited

I wish you could specify the height of letters

I wish the document info panel can list all the colours present in a file.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: see the Document Info panel. Set it to "Objects" in the panel menu and select a path.

3: You can somehow do that by applying "outline Object" as an effect and select the option "Use preview bounds" in Preferences > General. Text stays live. Before creating a PDF you need to delete the effect from the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Cannot wait

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to have the ability to make the stoppers on a gradient step like in Cinema 4D. So each colour doesn't blend between each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post feature requests to https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried but when I setup the account and go through the steps it tells me my email isn't valid. I cant login to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a new account that you have to set up for it. Did you do that?

I could post it for you, but I don't understand how you want it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did setup a new account and verified my email but then when I try to sign in it says my email is wrong, lol.

Here is an example of the C4D gradient...

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 1.51.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this in Illustrator: https://youtu.be/CFy2um3QP-8

If you want it on a stroke, a brush would be the better option. Even for a fill, a pattern might be a better option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely aware this can be done but if you want to move these things around its incerdibaly cumbersome.

There is no proper reason for this in Illustrator this is why I am wishing for it.

Being able to change the interpretation of the gradient would be fanatastic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's your feature request: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/477... 

Only thing you need to do now is get people to vote for it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree the Gradient Annoator in Adobe Illustrator is a pain in the neck to use. Rotation is allowed only by a control on one end of the annotator and length can only be adjusted on the other end. Changing the position of the annotator above objects can be flaky. By comparison, the equivalents to the gradient annotator in Affinity Designer and CorelDRAW are more simple and easier to use. Just grab either end and move it to change the length and rotation. The gradient ends can be snapped to other objects or guidelines. This is handy for applying similar gradients across objects stacked on top of each other. It's more time consuming doing this in Illustrator. These days if I'm doing such a task in Illustrator I'll use Astute Graphics' Gradiator panel as a cheat.

While it's easier to position gradients on objects in CorelDRAW, the print output isn't as good. But the artwork can ported over to Illustrator and then saved in PDF format for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the controls in general could be much more elegant 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can specify the height of the letters in Illustrator using Font Height Options.

Enable them in Character panel’s fly out menu and choose one of many options there, like x-heigh or Cap height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The original post was from 2019, years before the Font Height Options and Large Canvas Mode were added. No vector drawing application has an unlimited size canvas (regardless of the occasional claim I hear).

I still wish it was possible to align text objects to other objects via the baseline or distribute multiple point text objects via their baselines. One of Illustrator's competitors has been able to do that going back to the 1990's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines