Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Normal circle form and pie chart take different size

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I´m trying to create a piechart a certain size (60mm in diameter). What I've noticed is that if I choose the piechart tool, click on my artboard and insert the size value 60mmx60mm it will generate a piechart that is not the same size as a normal circle form created with the same method. Does anyone know why, and how I could work around this? Attached image is of a circle form to the left and a piechart to the right, both have the same size values.

Skärmavbild 2016-11-21 kl. 08.51.58.png

Thanks!
/Elin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

This happens and there's no way around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elin

You can scale a chart without losing any of the chart functions. If you dragged out the chart to be 60mm but it drew itself too small, you can match the 60mm size you need by scaling the chart up 115%. Simply select your chart, double click the scale tool in the tool panel, check “uniform, and enter 115%.

Hope that helps

Michael Riordan

Owner/Adobe Certified Instructor

Digital DesignLab

Oak Park, IL

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as i can tell, charts just kinda suck and no one really knows why. so scaling it to match is the only workaround 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those charts are way off.

pie-charts.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took a screenshot of the image I created, they weren't to scale in the image I posted, it was just to illustrate my problem, i.e. the chart was smaller than the circle even though they had been assigned the same value.

/Elin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens and there's no way around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monkia,

Sorry to revive this thread. I just want to make sure I read your answer correctly. Are you saying this is a bug?

Is there any place in Preferences maybe where this incorrect ratio is coming from (it is not 1:1)?

It's impossible to resize with the mouse too, after creating it!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying that it's a bug.

It's how the feature has been working like ... forever. I'm pretty sure that it's meant to work like that - it's just not what you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's how Adobe expects it to work, I'd be really surprised. What would be the point of entering dimensions for the object and then have the object be created with smaller dimensions, as discussed in this thread? That's unlike any other object in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's how the feature has always worked, so I conclude that it's intentional.

When dragging out that box, it includes space for the graph's axes that a pie chart doesn't have, so there we are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you "drag out"? I can't change the dimensions unless I ungroup the graph. Even with the legend, it's still not the dimension I enter. When I create a pie chart of size Width and Height, what do these figures correspond to, according to what Adobe intends?

According to the Adobe manual, I believe W and H should be those of the pie itself, as we users, expect:

"To define the dimensions of the graph, do one of the following:

-Drag diagonally from the corner where you want the graph to begin to the opposite corner. Alt‑drag (Windows) or Option‑drag (macOS) to draw the graph from its center. Hold down Shift to constrain the graph to a square.

-Click where you want to create the graph. Enter a width and height for the graph, and click OK.

Note: The dimensions you define are for the main body of the graph and do not encompass the graph’s labels and legend."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You click and drag with the tool to make a box.

Considering the history of the chart functionality I think it doesn't make a lot of sense to discuss in which way it doesn't work as expected. Personally I celebrate the fact that it's still there and somehow works. And that I know how to work around a lot of its issues.

But if you wish to complain I would suggest to post on http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I thought you were dragging it out after it was created. I now created the pie chart by clicking and dragging. I first turned on the grid and snap to grid, clicked and dragged to the grid to create the pie, and the pie comes out smaller than what I dragged it to and it's not even sized according to the grid. Other than ungrouping the pie and therefore losing its graph status, I don't know how else to measure its size (which is not the size I wanted to begin with!).

It doesn't somehow work, it somewhat works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elin,

The characteristics of a circle drawn as a shape and a pie chart are different. However I tried the same and was able to reproduce the same. Will consult the same with the Development Team about it and may be I would come up with a better explanation.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can, that would be a first, om!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

I already reported it to them and hope to get an answer soon !

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer we want, of course, is a brand new charts and graphs application that is newer than 1993.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its 2021 and they still havent managed to fix this. WHY? They update all this other crap that I dont need. Please just fix what we need to be fixed so I can make a donut chart. Or better yet, make a donut chart one of the types I can select from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines