• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd results with Patfinder "Crop" or "Intersection"?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to setup a demonstration for my students to achieve a "halftone" effect like this:

RogerBreton_0-1724091022572.png

I have seen this from a guy on YouTube (I should give hism credit but I don't know his name... I'll have to look it up). It's two series of "lines", A) one thicker (behind) than the other (in front), B) using "Profiles" for the front lines (created with the Width tool). It is a very neat technique. 
So I drew two Black Strokes, 30pts, and then Blended with 21 Steps in between. 

Here's a link to the Illustrator document if you're interested to see where I'm starting from:
30 pts Strokes.ai

RogerBreton_1-1724091337516.png

Now, I need to somehow "crop" the strokes to some shape and this is where I'm having diffioculty. To experiment, I drew an orange ellipse. At this point, I "should", in an ideal world, be able to select both the Blend and the Ellipse and Crop the Strokes to the shape of the ellipse but it's not working.

I tried different things to no avail. Pathfinder > Crop, Pathfinder > Intersect.

I sort of have the hunch that "open shapes" such as line are ignored by the Pathfinder filters.

I tried Expanding the Stroke to "Surfaces" by "Convert Outlines" and, at that point, Pathfinder > Intersect will not give me what I want, which is odd, but Pathfinder > Crop will work.

Still, once the lines have been converted to "shapes", forget using my neat little "Profile" technique...

Always "something" with Illustrator. 
I'm sure it's related to a Pathfinder "rule" I never figured out completely, because, on the face of it, this kind of manipulation does not seem that hard.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

The Shaper tool did not give what I wanted. I don't see how it could used to solve my problem: wasn't the Shaper tool created for tablets?
I didn't try the Live Paint tool because that did not seem to me that it would yield the "shapes" I was looking for. But the Shape Builder tool did the "trick", provided I first Expanded the Blend, naturally.

Thank you for your kind help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Shapebuilder tool, Live Paint or the Shaper tool can do that with ease.

One could even use the common pathfinder functions, but in many cases the above mentioned tools are more appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Shaper tool did not give what I wanted. I don't see how it could used to solve my problem: wasn't the Shaper tool created for tablets?
I didn't try the Live Paint tool because that did not seem to me that it would yield the "shapes" I was looking for. But the Shape Builder tool did the "trick", provided I first Expanded the Blend, naturally.

Thank you for your kind help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines