Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only the Arial font has no fill despite having a fill

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I have been having this weird issue that's been baffling both myself and my co-worker. Recently, my Arial regular font has been showing no fill and a stroke, even though my appearance and graphic styles have not been altered. This is an Illustrator issue in particular because the font is fine in both Photoshop and InDesign since I have overwrote my Arial font. I am running Illustrator 28.1 and I have also uninstalled and reinstalled it and still did not resolve this issue. Also, exporting it as a pdf will display it with the outlines. Furthermore, Arial has been working fine with Illustrator on the other computers so I wonder if there's a setting I must have missed. Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's also not an outline font?

Please share a demo file. Either by renaming it as .PDF or by upload on Dropbox or the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is sample file of my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open that file in Illustrator, Arial is neither italic nor outlined.

But in the PDF it's both.

Maybe you can reinstall Arial?

Reboot the computer?

Does that also happen when you create a new file and in there create a new text object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried both of those things and neither of them worked. The Arial I installed had filled in text whereas Arial (Regular) on Illustrator still had the outlines. I opened up InDesign, made a new file, and Arial (Regular) did not have this issue.

Yes, it's consistent with new and old files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks indeed outlined in the PDF but not in Illustrator. Saving the file in Illustrator (Mac) corrects it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm a PC user. Will this still work though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, I just moved the text a little and the same amount back to be able to save it.

But it uses the font on my mac.

It is worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have this option on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue fyi. I tried looking in appearance and types again and there's just nothing to revert Arial to a solid font. Also, the outline will show up in print too. Furthermore, I uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator and no dice. The outline is present.

All the other Arial fonts are fine, it's just Arial Regular on Illustrator on my computer that's causing this trouble. My computer is showing Arial Regular in a solid colour. Please help, I would love to design stuff using Arial in Illustrator since I have many files on Illustrator. Think the only other solution would be wiping my computer but I don't want it to come to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What version of Windows are you running? Different versions of Windows may have different builds of Arial. That's certainly the case for an old PC running something like Windows XP versus a newer PC running Win 10 or Win 11. If you have more than one PC at home or work you could try copying an Arial Regular font file from another computer and installing that on the affected PC. MS Office install discs usually have a fonts folder that include styles of Arial.

Another alternative: you can download the Arial Nova type family for free from the Windows Store. Several type families are available there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines