• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening PDF in Illustrator CC 2019 (simple Q?).

Participant ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully just a simple question this:

I've found that I can open a PDF in AI cc 2019 that I created in AI cc 2019 weeks after it was last saved and there's no difference between the PDF and opening the original AI file.

No formatting is lost or screwed up (as when AI opens PDFs made by someone else or in another app).

Awesome.

Except that sometimes it doesn't work like that and the PDF I've saved out of AI cc 2019 behaves as if it's someone elses PDF or a PDF made in any other app.

Either it's screwed up, with all area type converted to random point type objects, or I get that alert about "linked PDFs/one page or all?".

Obviously if you've ever seen that you'll know it's not a good sign and that, should you choose to embed the linked PDF pages they will really be of any use.

So what's the consistency here?

What am I doing wrong?

Is it a version change issue that happens when you Update your Illustrator?

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's about the options. You have to check "Illustrator editability" when saving your PDF.

About saving files: How Illustrator saves files - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default if you save a PDF from Illustrator, Illustrator also saves the comple Illustrator file in the PDF (" Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities").

When you open that PDF it opens the Illustrator part.

If you uncheck that option (" Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities"), you have only the PDF part and it behaves like any other PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you uncheck that option (" Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities"), you have only the PDF part and it behaves like any other PDF.

And if one saves as a PDF/X that option will be unchecked automatically because it conflicts with the standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines