• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pen tool - turn off SNAP-TO points

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2009 Jan 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -- I'm running Illustrator CS3 on a Mac Powerbook. Somehow I've got some sort of "snap-to" feature turned on for the PEN TOOL, and I can't figure out where to tun it OFF.

It's the constraint aspect that is unwanted (the symptoms are: the cursor constantly displays "tool tip" info about all sorts of existing nearby anchor points, various constraint angles, etc -- which is OK as info, but it also keeps snapping to these points in the image when I create a new anchor point, rather than letting me just click wherever I want).

I want to reset to the DEFAULT behavior for creating arbitrary anchor points. This forced "snap-to" business is driving me nuts -- and I can't find where to turn this feature OFF. Someone point me in the right direction please.
Thanks -- Robin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about the likeable Smart Guides.

If you don't like them right now, just turn them off in the View menu or modify their settings in the Illustrator preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View >Snap ( Command>Option>") to point an the tip is the place where you are and the green lines are lining up with another anchor somewhere in your are.

Smart Guides which are on by default. you can turn them off View>Smart Guides.(Command>U)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2009 Feb 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -- good info from both Kurt and Wade -- I appreciate the help. I suspected that there was some menu item for this (probably "hidden in plain sight"), but I just couldn't find it.

Adobe HELP didn't seem to have this topic for the keyword "pen tool", which also surprised me.

I bet the SMART GUIDES are very helpful under certain circumstances -- but they were creating huge problems for what I was doing.

Thanks again -- Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2009 Feb 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Since smart guides are a feature you can toggle you should explore them and the way they work at first seem intrusive they are good to have available at a moment notice.

It does not take long to get use as well.

Makes lining point with the pen tool and other drawing tools a snap as you noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines