• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

peristent ScriptUI panel in Illustrator, is it possible?

Contributor ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi All

so this is a question I've been meaning to ask for ages. Persistent scriptUI panels in Illustrator, is it possible?

Most of my scripting energy goes into in After Effects scripts and I'm so used to persistant dockable script panels that it is always a bit jarring when I move to illustrator and have to keep closing and opening the panels I'm using just to select stuff or zoom. 

I don't need the panels to be dockable or open at startup or any o f that jazz,  I just want to have afloating panel/window that allows me to switch focus to the document  and operate teh UI as normal , without having to close panel.

Is it possible without moving to CEP extensions ?

any pointers very greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try "palette" instead of dialog.

var win = new Windows ("palette", "title");
win.show ();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey pixexxelscubser, thanks for the suggestion.

I tried "palette" and almost fell over when it worked, could it really be that simple?  ...sadly no.
I can switch focus between the panel and the document like magic, but as soon as I click one of the buttons in my scriptUI panel to do something everything goes to hell in a bucket,  VSC reports 'there is no document' and then illustrator crashes.

I now have a very very vague memory of going through this a few years when i first started scripting for illustrator and perhaps that is why i've been using dialog in the first place.

is there something else more genral with the script to consider when using "palette" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"so simple"? No.

I've been using a palette as a "container" for my most important scripts for years. These exist separately in the scripts folder and are controlled via the palette using a button via BridgeTalk. This works well for me. 

What exactly are you planning to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, that sounds like it might be a bit of stretch for my limited skills.

most of the scripts I'm using are one off kind of processes, manipulating pathpoints mainly, so the dialog is fine... select some paths, open panel, do some stuff , close panel.

but at the moment I have a project which has a few steps where I need to reselect paths manually and it would be sooooooo much more streamlined if I could just keep the panel open while reselecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines