Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Polygons and Triangles

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I know this is probably very simple and been mentioned before in other discussions... so apologies!

I am trying to create polygon patterns with equilateral triangles. I have managed to create the pattern fairly easily with a polygon with anchor points joined up, see image 1 & image 2. However I ideally want to make the pattern with separate triangles so I can easily add or remove triangles to adjust the pattern. The problem I have is once aligned the triangles have overlapping points (see the problem with image 3 & image 4). I was wondering if it was possible to fuse them but still have separate triangles, I have tried the pathfinders and tried Ctrl + J, but no luck.

Image 1.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 3.jpgImage 4.jpg

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Also I am using Illustrator CS5.5, not CC.

Thanks,

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

The easy way would be to use Stroke>Round Join (corresponding to Round Cap), if you can live with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by drawing the six-sided polygon.

Then daw the diagonals to connect opposite corners using the Line tool.

Select All and go to Object > Live Paint > Make.

With the Live Paint object selected, press the Expand button.

This should give you your first polygon. You can make it into a repeated Pattern using the the Pattern Options panel (Window > Pattern Options.) Under the Options menu of the panel choose Make Pattern. You may need to make some minor adjustments, but it should be close with the defaults.

Here's a video tutorial about making Patterns to help: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2012/07/create-simply-amazing-patterns/

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 12.24.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start again.

Use the Star tool (and  before releasing use keyboard arrow up down )   + shift   to get the first  triangle

next rotate with handles + shift  180 degrees

Then move the triangles + alt to copy  extra ones and  place using smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

When I have tried doing the individual triangles I still seem to be getting the overlapping corners when aligning them. I seem to either be able to do polygons with lines going through it creating the illusion of triangles, see first photo. Or have overlapping triangles in the polygon, see second photo...? Is it because of CS5.5? Couldn't find the pattern button also?

Sorry to be a pain!

Many thanks,

MImage 5.jpgImage 4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Those are the Miter Joins of the triangles, hence my suggestion in the first post to use Round Joins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, CS5.5. Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks all for your help! Tried the round corners Jacob, didn't understand it first time you mentioned it (apologies) but have played around and it has worked exactly as I wanted! Didn't even know that existed, so thank you!

Best,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Mark.

Generally, I prefer the rounding to the sharp corners (apart from the greater versatility that you have just witnessed), but others may see it differently, hence the If you can live with it bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines